Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#151161 - 28/03/2003 08:54 low sub hum.. easy fix?
jbradshw
journeyman

Loc: Atlanta, GA
OK I have my empeg running to my head unit which runs to an amp. Here's what happens. Every now and then I get a very low hum from my sub. Sometimes it's very faint, other times it's somewhat loud. It's not affected by either the Empeg volume or HU volume controls. It's not always there either. Sometimes when I slide the empeg out and back in it goes away.

Well a couple of days ago I was messing around with it some more. What I did was pull the empeg out about a centimeter or two so it was still connected into the back connector in the sled so the empeg would still work, but the hum went away.

To put it shortly, I get no hum when the empeg is slightly out of the sled, but varying levels of sub hum to sometimes none at all when the empeg is fully in the sled.

Can someone explain what is going on here? And also if there is an easy fix for this. I really don't want to have to reinstall something.

Thanks!

Edited by jbradshw (28/03/2003 08:56)

#151162 - 28/03/2003 09:21 Re: low sub hum.. easy fix? [Re: jbradshw]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
You might want to check for a loose wire or some other loose contact in the loom or pressing against the body of the player when fully inserted. It sounds like having the player fully inserted is causing some grounding or other wiring glitch.

#151163 - 28/03/2003 09:59 Re: low sub hum.. easy fix? [Re: jbradshw]
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
Well if it's not affected by volume and if only the sub is humming then you have a ground problem, or a live wire is comming in contact with the back of your Empeg. I had all my speakers hum on my first install intill I realized I connected the dimmer lead to the wrong sorce .

#151164 - 28/03/2003 11:59 Re: low sub hum.. easy fix? [Re: jbradshw]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It sounds like a wiring or grounding problem. Check for this specifically, and double check all wiring connections and grounds. It might be some kind of a ground loop, so read up on it here and see if that helps any.

#151165 - 28/03/2003 12:01 Re: low sub hum.. easy fix? [Re: JrFaust]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had all my speakers hum on my first install intill I realized I connected the dimmer lead to the wrong sorce .
Oh yeah, don't forget that. Make sure all the wiring is done based on the labels attached to the wires, not by color. For instance, if your car's dimmer wire is colored orange, then if you went by color you'd hook it up to the wrong one, like Faust said.