Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#153572 - 06/04/2003 20:21 Need Computer Purchase Advice
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I need to buy a new computer for my parents to replace the AMD K6-233 system that they're currently using. It's definitely showing its age. Unfortunately, since I never buy new systems (I usually build my own) I don't really know what to get them.

While I don't want to spend a lot, I'd like it to be from someone who will support it for a few years. I know Athlon XP 1500 systems can be had for like $200 from no-name companies, and that'd be fine for their purposes, but with my parents being 8 hours away, I can't exactly come over and fix problems for them, and would rather they had someone to call if things go wrong.

I know I could look to Gateway, Dell, or the like, but it seems to me there must be other mid-tier PC makers who would have better deals than those giants, yet still stand behind their products more than "Joe's Computers and Naugahyde Upholstery."

As for requirements... My parents are by no means power users, and this PC won't do more than surf the Internet, run MS Word, play the occasional music file, burn a CD once in a blue moon... etc. CPU-wise, even the slowest of the machines that are currently being sold new today seem like they'd be fine for what they need to do. Even like an Athlon 1.33 GHz or Celeron 1.7. I think it'd only need 256MB RAM for their needs. Any reliable CD burner will do. They have a monitor, so another monitor isn't strictly necessary, but if a 17" or larger monitor is part of the package, that'd be nice (so I can inherit the old one.) HD space is not really an issue.

So can anyone recommend any reputable PC makers that I might look at for finding a good deal? Dell wants $499 for their base no-frills model, I'd like to get below that price, but still have someone for them to call if their power supply is dead. Suggestions?

#153573 - 06/04/2003 20:42 Re: Need Computer Purchase Advice [Re: tonyc]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Do you know if there's any good mom & pop computer shops nearby your parents? This'd help with the warranty situation and perhaps be a step up from bulk white box mfg's. Just a thought.

-Zeke

#153574 - 06/04/2003 20:48 Re: Need Computer Purchase Advice [Re: Ezekiel]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Do you know if there's any good mom & pop computer shops nearby your parents? This'd help with the warranty situation and perhaps be a step up from bulk white box mfg's. Just a thought.
Nah, I really doubt it. The closest major town is Plattsburgh, NY and that's 40 minutes away. The chances are very slim that there'd be someone who knows what they're doing any closer than that. I would rather they could just call an 800 number and have someone send them a replacement part or something. For any software issues they'll just call me, but if the CD drive doesn't read anymore, I'd like them to be able to call an 800 number and have a replacement in the mail the next day.

#153575 - 06/04/2003 22:59 Re: Need Computer Purchase Advice [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The thing about Dells... you can typically find a deal on http://gotapex.com which makes them dirt cheap, if you don't need to order it right this second. I know I paid less than that for my sister-in-law's machine, for instance. I think it was $400 shipped.

#153576 - 07/04/2003 01:38 Re: Need Computer Purchase Advice [Re: tonyc]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
HP/Compaq have a factory outlet for end-of-life and refurbished kit (click the Red-Tag Sale banner).

$359 gets you a basic 1.7 Celeron, 128MB, 40GB, CD-RW, Lan/Modem, no-monitor.

#153577 - 13/05/2003 12:30 Re: Need Computer Purchase Advice [Re: Daria]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah, Dell Small Business has a sweet deal that netted me a Celery 2.2 GHz system for $400 shipped. There's a similar system with a P4 2.2 GHz and a monitor instead for $500, but I didn't need their crappy monitor, nor are the parents going to notice the difference between a Celery 2.2 and a P4 2.2.

Thanks to those who helped, this is the best deal in the $400 range to fly by lately, so I jumped on it.