Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#155508 - 15/04/2003 14:21 Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but...
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'm thinking about getting a new Nissan Frontier Crew-cab. I test-drove a couple the other weekend and I really liked them. However, I wasn't sure about where I could install my empeg. The truck comes with an oversize factory stereo/6-CD changer that I'd like to keep installed - and there seems to be adequate space below the stereo/changer to install the empeg. The problem with the space below, however, was accessability. The 4wd shift knob and automatic [censored] knob both looked like they'd get in the way of sliding my empeg in and out of its sled.

Does anybody on this forum own a Frontier or any other Nissan model with a similar center console? If so, do you have any info on the installation of your empeg - or any suggestions?

Thanks,

- trs

#155509 - 16/04/2003 08:42 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
trs24
old hand

I guess I spelled "shift" wrong, there. oops. hhhhh

- trs

#155510 - 16/04/2003 09:43 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
That's funny, trs24...
(I know, it's easy to make me happy)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#155511 - 16/04/2003 10:22 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
or any suggestions?

This may seem overly simplistic, but I'll say it anyway just in case you haven't thought of it. Why not drop the factory stereo down and put the empeg on top of it? That way, the shift knobs aren't in the way.

#155512 - 16/04/2003 10:50 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: JBjorgen]
trs24
old hand

Oh - that's a very good suggestion. See, I was fixated on just one solution. It always pays to ask other's for advice!

- trs

#155513 - 16/04/2003 11:01 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
And would it be in the way if you weren't in Park? What if you put it in 1 while you were inserting or removing the empeg?

#155514 - 16/04/2003 20:44 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I have a Frontier ('02 CC LB 4x4). I haven't installed my Empeg yet, so I can't give any suggestions. I keep trolling this board hoping that someone else posts some suggestions for me.

There's a Nissan Frontier forum on the net that has a section devoted to audio. They have wiring loom info there, too. That's actually where I first heard about the Empeg, actually.

I'll probably tear out the original HU. It's okay, and definately better than most stock systems, but there seems little point in keeping it in there one I toss in the Empeg and PCA's tuner kit.

Edited by canuckInLA (16/04/2003 20:46)

#155515 - 18/04/2003 20:46 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: JBjorgen]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Why not drop the factory stereo down and put the empeg on top of it?

Okay.... I went out and checked my truck to see if this is feasible. The space under the factory radio is only about half the depth of the empeg sled -- in otherwords, really only useful for putting your sunglasses in. Without taking my dash apart, I felt around behind there to see if that was just empty space or not. It's not. There's definately something back there that would prohibit dropping the factory radio down. Whatever it was I felt, it had a massive heatsink on the back, so I'm guessing that's the amp that comes with the Rockford Fosgate option. If you don't get option, that space may be free.

#155516 - 21/04/2003 11:41 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: wfaulk]
trs24
old hand

And would it be in the way if you weren't in Park?
In that case - I think the shift knob definitely wouldn't be - but the 4wd knob would still. Unless I put it into 4low everytime I wanted to take out/put in my peg. Maybe I'll have to test drive them again and try to figure out some possibilities.

- trs

#155517 - 02/05/2003 10:28 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
trs24
old hand

Well, I can't stand it any longer. I'm just going to get the truck this weekend. Once I have it - I'll have pleanty of time to figure out how to install the empeg. When I do - I'll be sure to post all the info I gather on it.

Thanks guys!

- trs

#155518 - 02/05/2003 11:09 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: wfaulk]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
What if you put it in 1 while you were inserting or removing the empeg?

Would you really want to be hindered to the point of having to move your gear shifter everytime you get in your truck to put your empeg in? I know you have to move it anyway but I like to put mine in as soon as I get in the truck. It would just be a nuisance to me to have to do it in a specific order with no other solutions.

I would agree with Meatballman on moving the factory radio down and installing the empeg on top, if there's enough room.

#155519 - 03/05/2003 16:45 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Well, I can't stand it any longer. I'm just going to get the truck this weekend.

Yay! Welcome to the Fronty family. I'm looking forward to your install details -- I'm almost at the point where I can earmark some of my disposable income towards getting my Empeg installed.

#155520 - 04/05/2003 21:26 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: canuckInOR]
trs24
old hand

Hey thanks! Yeah - I LOVE it. My last truck was a 97 Nissan - but it was a REAL P.O.S. So this truck is a real step up.

But, I've been pondering it and I'm not sure how I'm going to install the peg and keep the factory installed system. If I don't want to keep the factory cd changer, I could easily enough install it with this kit. But it still might be possible to install it under the stereo in the storage area with this.

k, I'm going to go down and see how well the peg fits in that space.

- trs

#155521 - 05/05/2003 08:14 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
trs24
old hand

Well... I was terribly disappointed to find out that the peg does not fit in the storage area below the factory stereo. So, without HEAVY modifications to the console... I think it's not possible to install the empeg AND keep the factory installed CD changer. DMNT.

- trs

#155522 - 07/05/2003 22:48 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I thought that might be the case.

I thought about doing a vertical mount in the CD holder part of the center console arm rest, but didn't like the thought of losing visuals, even though I usually just listen to everything on random.

#155523 - 08/05/2003 15:05 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: canuckInOR]
trs24
old hand

Yeah - my feelings exactly. If only I had a tuner kit, I'd yank that factory stereo right out of there. Otherwise - I suppose my rio-car is going to serve as a rio-home/office in the meantime.

- trs

#155524 - 09/05/2003 22:16 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Mine is also serving as a rio-home/office. I have a tuner kit, but haven't found the time to put it together yet. I haven't been in any great rush, since living 6 miles from work means I barely make it through two songs on the way to and from work (and lately, I haven't even been driving to work).

I'll hopefully have my install done by Aug. 9th, when I have to make a 9 hour drive to Tahoe for a race.

#155525 - 06/08/2003 01:26 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Alrighty, then. I've finally installed my empeg + pcats tuner. All I can emoticon is

I have to admit, though, I'm *really* glad I took it to a shop -- Al & Ed's Autosound (on Lincoln). Three thumbs up for them. I knew they were the guys to go to, when, during my initial drop in, the guy at the counter knew what the empeg was by my description. They've installed about 10 of them, now.

As for the install itself, there were two problems -- one easy to solve, one not so easy to solve.

The easy problem to fix was that the five channel amp could only fit behind the back seat if I took out the jack. Not an option. That left under either of the front seats. Due to an odd bump in the floor under the passenger seat, it stuck out too far. The driver seat was even worse. I ended up going with dual amps -- a 4 channel, plus a bridged 2 channel

The not-so-easy problem is that the empeg wouldn't fit in the damn console! The HU that was removed was a dual DIN unit. The console moulding fit over top the edges of the radio. There's a little edge running around the perimiter of the hole for the radio, which is supposed to fit over top the stereo -- that's the way the after market mounting kit works, as well -- so all aftermarket stereos are supposed to sit under the moulding. The empeg, of course, due to having a handle and needing to be pulled out, needs to sit flush with the surface, so the cage needed to go on top of the moulding. Enter the next problem -- the top of the moulding had rounded corners -- the empeg wasn't going to fit without some major hacksawing. Installing at the bottom had its own difficulties. The only thing we could do was mount the Empeg in the middle, and lose the idea of having a map pocket. In order to get the cage to sit correctly, they ended up cutting part of the moulding, so that when the Empeg is in the cage, the Empeg sits flush with the little bit of moulding. So, now that we have the cage in, there were holes top and bottom that needed plugging. Well, we couldn't put plastic over the top -- that looked like crap. If we put the plastic in back, there was a gap of about 5mm between the plastic, and the sled. That also looked like crap. They painted the sled black to see if that helped. It did a bit, but not enough. They ended up putting the plastic on the back, then cutting more bits of plastic that fit the shape of the holes to fill the gap.

Aside from the slightly odd look of a single DIN stereo sitting in the middle of a double DIN slot, it looks pretty decent. Will post install pics if I can find someone with a digital camera...

Cheers,

PS... they started working on it at about 4pm, and finished at about 11:30pm. They probably could have finished about a bit sooner, but it was a 20 minute bike ride for me to get to the shop when they called asking what to do about the center console.

Edit: PPS... the other car in the shop while I was there was a Rolls Royce.

#155526 - 06/08/2003 15:13 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: canuckInOR]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Edit: PPS... the other car in the shop while I was there was a Rolls Royce
Reminds me of the time I was getting some work done at Dashboard Stereo in Durham, NC and they had Michael Jordan's Porsche in. Alas! I couldn't get a good look at it: they had museum type ropes around it to keep us riff-raff away.

-jk

#155527 - 07/08/2003 14:40 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: canuckInOR]
trs24
old hand

I can't wait for the pics! Your post has me worried. I was really hoping to be able to use the crutchfield E Adaptor with the Map pocket - but it looks like you're ruled that option out. I'm REALLY interested to see how it looks in the middle. Thanks for the info!

- trs

#155528 - 19/08/2003 00:45 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Okay, I finally have some pictures. It's going to be a bit before I can get them resized, and up on RioCar.Org, but for a sneak preview, you can temporarily find them here.

Note that those are 2k images, so they're BIG.

#155529 - 19/08/2003 08:33 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: canuckInOR]
trs24
old hand

Nice install! So, I'm curious... What were the difficulties with installing the empeg at the bottom of the console? I was hoping that maybe I could just install the kit with the map pocket on top. Was that just not do-able?

- trs

#155530 - 19/08/2003 22:54 Re: Thinking of getting Nissan Frontier, but... [Re: trs24]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

I wish I had photos of every step, so you could see what all the options looked like as we were trying to figure out what to do.

The empeg would fit at the bottom, but the problem is that the map pocket and the empeg are just plain incompatible. You might be able to hack the map pocket, though. The way the fascia and map pocket are designed is that the pocket sits underneath the flange on the fascia. The pocket has an attached ring type section that the radio sits in. The radio is also supposed to sit under the fascia flange. Unfortunately, the empeg is designed to sit on top of that flange. That flange on the fascia is meant to take the place of the empeg face -- but you can't take that off, as you need the handle.

What you end up with is the empeg that needs to sit on top of the existing flange, and a map pocket that can only sit under the flange, which leaves a gap of about 1/4" between the empeg and the face of the map pocket, which looked like crap.

The plastic sections you see surrounding my empeg is actually a sandwich. There's a large piece of plastic glued on the back (where the pocket would be mounted), then there are the visible pieces you see that were cut to shape, and velcroed onto the back piece. With the two pieces of plastic plus the thickness of the velcro, the front plastic now sits flush with the edge of the empeg sled, which was sunk into the fascia flange.