Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#159800 - 07/05/2003 15:28 Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed
tman
carpal tunnel

Just now I had loads of pops and crackles through my empeg. I knew it wasn't a bad rip or anything like that as I've listened to this album before and I made sure it was okay when I encoded it. Also it would reappear in a different place if I flushed the music cache by seeking forward a few times and then going back to the original track.
Looked at the kernel ring buffer and there were huge numbers of errors about the HD and not being able to read sectors.
So... knowing that everybody has had loads of problems with the HD cable and since it's actually a FAQ I opened up the empeg. Recrimped the HD cable and now it's fine... (cross fingers)

I guess it's time for me to get a replacement cable from Rob.

If anybody else has lots of pops when playing a known good track then check your cable!

- Trevor

#159801 - 07/05/2003 19:17 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: tman]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm. Good to know this info. In my pre-replacement-cable days I experienced some pops and crackles on known good tracks. I never did determine the cause, and the issue mysteriously disappeared.

#159802 - 09/05/2003 12:17 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: tman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I must admit that I have done this on my own Mk2. There are two types of IDE cable, the newer grey one with a black stripe, and the older light grey one with a pink stripe. This latter one is the one with the problem.

I bought a parallel-face welding clamp with rubber faces. It has a ratchet action, and a spring loaded grip. What I have found is that it is possible to re-crimp the connectors on the cable with this tool if a bit of care is used. So far, I have had my re-crimped version in the player for a year without any problems so far.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#159803 - 09/05/2003 12:39 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks. I'll change the text in the FAQ entry about the cable. Right now, it kind of discourages recrimping... I'll try to encourage it more.

#159804 - 09/05/2003 14:04 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
'nother datapoint: I put the connectors, one at a time, in a small bench vise and carefully torqued it down with a twist of my wrist - pretty much as hard as I could, but wrist action only. Has been working flawlessly for 6-7 months now...

/Michael

#159805 - 09/05/2003 14:47 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cool, I'll put that in, too.

#159806 - 09/05/2003 17:26 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

I've actually got an IDC crimping tool. Before recrimping I could see the parts of the metal pins between the connector body and the ribbon cable itself. I'll try and use my terrible ASCII art skills (or lack of as the case may be)

Looking at the connector before recrimping:

+----------------------------------------------------------+
| ==================================================== |
+---^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^---+
| |
| |

After recrimping:

| |
+---====================================================---+
| |
| |

It's probably easier to use a small bench vise though.

- Trevor

#159807 - 09/05/2003 20:12 Re: Had weird HD errors - Recrimped cable = Fixed [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I think your ASCII art skills are very good, actually.