Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#160579 - 08/05/2003 18:27 blowing fuses
Overlord
new poster

I installed my empeg today, but I keep blowing fuses. I have 4-gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block. The output of the distribution box has two 8-gauge connections. I'm currently only using 1 of the eight gauge connections to my fosgate amp. I have an 8-gauge ground. I keep blowing fuses at the distro box and at the battery. What's up? Any ideas?

#160580 - 08/05/2003 18:48 Re: blowing fuses [Re: Overlord]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Do the fuses blow immediatly when you put them in, or does the system run for a bit and then kick off?

If the fuses blow right away, then you've either got a bad amp, or a wiring problem where the positive cable is somehow contacting ground. If the new fuses work for a while, then stop working, I'd try a different amp and see if that helped.

Matthew

#160581 - 08/05/2003 19:36 Re: blowing fuses [Re: matthew_k]
Overlord
new poster

They blow immediately. I pulled my 4-gauge power wire out to check for exposed wire, didn't find any. The last time I connected the power up to the battery, I got an arch across the positive post. Could a short in the RCA or speaker wire cause the blown fuses?

#160582 - 08/05/2003 21:40 Re: blowing fuses [Re: Overlord]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I don't think the arc means much, as I get a spark every time I disconnect my amp. I don't know of any good way around it, actually. Does anyone else know? Come to think of it, I know i've been told (and subsequently disregarded) that you're supposed to take off the negative battery cable, will that work with sparking?

If they blow at the battery and the distribution block, then it's probably something after the distribution block. How are the connections to the amp? There isn't any chance the positve cable is touching the ground or case of the amp? Be sure to actually figure out what the problem is, as the fuses are there mainly to prevent electrical fires, not save your amps.

Matthew

#160583 - 08/05/2003 22:00 Re: blowing fuses [Re: matthew_k]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Be sure to actually figure out what the problem is, as the fuses are there mainly to prevent electrical fires, not save your amps.
Very true. This can't be overemphasized.

If the fuses are blowing, it means there is definitely something wrong in the wiring, something that would melt wires or start fires if it weren't for the fuse.

Read this page carefully. Especially the "note on blown fuses" at the bottom (but also read the rest of the page too).