Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#161167 - 13/05/2003 00:52 Is this normal behaviour..... or not ?
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
Can someone confirm this normal behaviour for the player .... or not ?

Whenever I mount my drives read / write (site rw) then back again (site ro) the next time I synch in emplode a full disk check is initiated.

This was ok when I had a 10 gig unit, but at 40 gigs it takes about 20/30 min.

Can't be right surely, can it ??

Finally, as a matter of pure interest, any of you out there with twin 60's or 80's care to say how long a disk integrity check takes (.....well I can dream can't I )

Cheers, Sim

#161168 - 13/05/2003 01:12 Re: Is this normal behaviour..... or not ? [Re: simspos]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
No, that is not correct behavior. It indicates that you did not properly RO mount the drives at some point. You need to:

1. Do this.

2. In the future, make sure that third party programs such as Empacman and GPSapp aren't alive and running from /drive0 whenever you try to mount your drives as RO/RW or whenever you synch. This is a common reason you might be getting unexpected needs for disk-checks because the drives didn't get properly remounted. The easiest way to make sure these apps don't run when you're working on the drives is to only run them in @DC mode.

#161169 - 13/05/2003 01:13 Re: Is this normal behaviour..... or not ? [Re: simspos]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Finally, as a matter of pure interest, any of you out there with twin 60's or 80's care to say how long a disk integrity check takes
Answer here.

#161170 - 14/05/2003 00:33 Re: Is this normal behaviour..... or not ? [Re: tfabris]
simspos
enthusiast

Cheers Tony, as you summised I have (at least once) left the drives in a read/write state.

So if I'm reading this right my "synch every time problem" will continue until I carry out these instructions...
ro
umount /dev/hda4
umount /dev/hdc4
swapon /swapfile
fsck -fay /
fsck -fay /dev/hda4
fsck -fay /dev/hdc4
swapoff /swapfile
sync

Is this a once only fix?

How do people cope when they want to run apps in AC & DC mode? (I'm running Palantir and require it to run in AC & DC modes)

Is the answer just to disable the integrity check in Hijack? (is this really an OK thing to do?)

So many questions

#161171 - 14/05/2003 01:45 Re: Is this normal behaviour..... or not ? [Re: simspos]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
How do people cope when they want to run apps in AC & DC mode?

Before syncing, go in and stop any applications running from the music partitions. Or make sure your applications don't run from the music partitions.

Is the answer just to disable the integrity check in Hijack?

No, that only takes care of the mandatory fsck after X numbers of rw mounts (ie prevents you from getting the fsck delay when you really just wanted to toss on a few tracks and are in a rush to go...) If something happens that really requires an fsck, it will still happen - ie it's safe to use the Hijack fsck disabler.

/Michael

#161172 - 14/05/2003 06:17 Re: Is this normal behaviour..... or not ? [Re: mtempsch]
simspos
enthusiast

Cheers Michael, that clears it up nicely (and I think I even understand why )

Sim