Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#162912 - 27/05/2003 10:02 hdd dead?
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
it recently started acting up real wierd. stopping right in the middle of playing, giving me invalid file format problems. sometimes it would give hard disk not found contact support. couple of times it would just get to the custom logo and pause there forever. finally it stopped showing my playlists all together. ive two hard drives in it. one 20 gig and the original 10 gig. its the 10 that went bad.
i went in through hyperterminal and tried ls on the 10 gig. it gave me an error of ... something and said i should try to run e2fsck. i try fsck and the other fsck thats on there, forget what its called. it says something about a missing superblock or something. it said to run it with -b and some numbers ( i dont remember and i cant copy paste as the errors are in my room where i have no internet and where i do have internet i have no media access). long story short, it doesnt work now. i lost 1200 songs and was wondering if there was a way i could go about trying to fix it.
any thoughts?

#162913 - 27/05/2003 10:13 Re: hdd dead? [Re: RobotCaleb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
it gave me an error of ... something and said i should try to run e2fsck. i try fsck and the other fsck thats on there, forget what its called.
If you want to use FSCK on the empeg, you must follow these instructions exactly rather than just running it willy-nilly.

But the fact that you have been getting the "no hard disk found" error means that there's something going bad at the hardware level. In that case, FSCK isn't going to help. Go through the list and rule them out one by one to make certain it's really the drive going bad.

#162914 - 29/05/2003 09:52 Re: hdd dead? [Re: tfabris]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
ok, i plugged it in by itself last night. it did successfully boot this time. still no playlist
an ls on the dir shows lost+found and thats all