Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#166794 - 21/06/2003 13:40 Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I want to rotate the screen 180 degrees so that I can see in 'landscape' as my IR port is on the side of my unit and I'm using the tv remote. It would also need to resize it to fit. Possible?

Oh, and any ideas why a 100MB simpsons episode (WMV)won't play on it? I have sound but no video. Perhaps missing a codec? I'm running media player 8.

#166795 - 21/06/2003 17:23 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Don't you mean 90 degrees?

And yeah, in Media Player, sound but no video usually means a missing codec.

#166796 - 22/06/2003 01:55 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Try this: http://www.nyditot.com/home.htm

I haven't used it but it seems to do what you are looking for.

Here's a couple of things to try from dejanews on the WMV file.

1: Make sure your Pocket PC is connected and ActiveSync is visible on the PC
screen
2: On your PC open the file explorer
3: Navigate to the folder which contains the file you want to transfer to
the PPC, leave that folder open
4: Click on the Explore button in ActiveSync, Click on My Pocket PC, then
open the My Documents folder, leave that folder open also
5: Go back to the open folder in your PC's file explorer, highlight the file
you want to transfer, then choose copy from the edit menu
6: Go back to the open My Documents folder in your ActiveSync explorer and
choose paste from the edit menu
7: You will see the Copy and Convert dialogue box showing you the progress
of your file transfer.
8: When the transfer is complete open the file with MediaPlayer 7.1

Some video and audio formats are not support in PPC MP 7.1. Goto options and select "Play unsupported video codec" and it should work.

#166797 - 22/06/2003 03:54 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: tfabris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Doh! Yes, 90 degrees! What was I thinking,

#166798 - 22/06/2003 04:18 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: tfabris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Yup looks like a codec. I'm using Movie Maker to convert my mpg to wmv files and I select the I want a 100MB file. Trouble is, this creates a movie in media player 9 codec, but I only have 8 on the player with no upgrade available that I can see.

How can I tell movie maker not to use this codec? I can select best file for pocket pc, and THIS plays as it uses 7.1 codec, but the quality is very poor (200kbps).

Any ideas?

#166799 - 22/06/2003 05:13 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Here's the full thread

You have three options:
1) Use the Encoder 9 you have now, only modify the Pocket PC profile (click the "Modify ..." button to the right of the name), and change the video codec from Windows Media 9 to Windows Media 8.1. You should also double-check your audio setting and make sure it's set appropriately (that is, the bitrate is what you want). It's okay if the audio codec is WM9, it's downlevel compatible.
2) Use the Encoder 7 tool available from Microsoft's Windows Media download page. You'd have to remove Encoder 9 first, or do this work from another machine. Encoder 7 makes fully compatible WMVs for PPC with it's profile.
3) If you are running Windows XP or Windows Millenium, Movie Maker v1.2 has profiles for creating WMV files for the Pocket PC as well. This version is available at Windows Update.

Galan Bridgman
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Digital Media

#166800 - 22/06/2003 07:17 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

No idea if the TV remote software would be able to cope but I've used Jimmy Software's Landscape program on my H3630.
It all depends on if your application was hardcoded to the exact size of the screen.

- Trevor

#166801 - 22/06/2003 08:28 Re: Pocket PC - rotate screen? AND video troubles [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Like Mach said, you'll need the WM7 codec installed, but I don't think Microsoft makes that available anymore. I have it on my computer if you want it. I hate WM9 because it doesn't play on WMP6.4.

Anyway, after you get that, install this to create the WMV files. You'll have loads of controll over the outcome. I've been using this for a long time, and you can make very small files with the right settings. Especially ones that are meant to be played on a portable player.

*edit*
ps- with Windows Media Encoder, you should be able to make that file much less than 100MB.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (22/06/2003 08:30)