Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16758 - 05/09/2000 10:31 BMW 328i Installation
Presto
new poster

My number's up, so I'm deciding whether to buy an empeg. The only question I have at this point is about installation. As I understand it, there are various models that are troublesome to get an empeg into, and my BMW 328i seems to be one of them.

Is there anyone who can explain to me, in "Car Stereos for Dummies" fashion, the steps that will be necessary to install this into my car? I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to buy an empeg and then find that it's nearly impossible to get it installed. I should note, by the way, that I have a replacement head unit installed, so if there's any interface wiring to be done it's probably already been done.

Next, I do like to buy CDs and listen to them in the car immediately, and I need my radio too. So I'd like to run the empeg through a CD/radio head unit if possible -- or vice versa, to get the cool visualizations for my CDs. Is anyone here already doing that?

And to make this even more difficult, the BMW doesn't really appear to have 2 full DIN slots -- more like 1 full and a shallow. Anyone familiar with the 328's DIN situation?

Oh, and if anyone knows of a good installer in Seattle (preferrably westside, but eastside is okay) that would be great, too.

Thanks for any assistance!

Steve

Edited by Presto on 5/9/00 06:39 PM.

#16759 - 05/09/2000 12:54 Re: BMW 328i Installation [Re: Presto]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I'm still looking into a few different options, but Car-Toys in Bellevue impressed me. The installer guy claimed to have done several Empeg installations and seemed to know his stuff (same guy who dis'ed my Tercel...). I've never had any dealings with Car-Toys before.

As I am still looking myself, I'd like to hear of others...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Soy un perdedor..."

#16760 - 06/09/2000 06:01 Re: BMW 328i Installation [Re: Presto]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
I cant really speak to the din or installation situation of the BMW 328i - But if you only have a single DIN opening, and you insist on CD player try a 6 disc changer. You could put a changer in the trunk (or boot) and connect it to the Auxiliary input of the Empeg. You would have to have some small remote to control the changer.

Of course you will have to wait for the empeg tuner to get radio. But according to the last estimates I read around here that shouldn't be much longer (approx. end of September).

I think the visual still work both the tuner and the aux, but I have not tried this yet.

The other option is to get a car with double din. :-(

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#16761 - 07/09/2000 11:48 Re: BMW 328i Installation [Re: bootsy]
deadwood
new poster

I must second the advice of going to car-toys
in Bellevue. Donovan there did my install (+new
amp and sub) and it was well done. He said he's done
at least 3 more before me, so he's definately experienced
with it.

#16762 - 17/10/2000 17:49 Re: BMW 328i Installation [Re: Presto]
fredq
new poster

Loc: Menlo Park, CA
Hi. It am in the same boat as you; I would like to install my empeg where the radio is and relocate the radio. Did you ever find out if it is possible to move the stereo to one of the lower, shallow DINs?

Thanks,
Fred Quintana