Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168092 - 27/06/2003 23:44 $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy?
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ok, my empeg needs some new music. I have about $50 worth of replay certificates to spend, and am open to suggestions on how I should spend them.

Overall, I like a lot of the music in the Paulway techno mixes, various popish/rock artists, some heavier music, and bits of classical as well. So, feel free to suggest.

#168093 - 28/06/2003 00:31 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Current enjoying The Eels' Shootenanny

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#168094 - 28/06/2003 05:53 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Well, if you don't already have Moving Pictures . . .

Someone you may not have heard of is David Wilcox. His album Big Horizon is the most played CD on my Empeg. You have to like folk music, though.

#168095 - 28/06/2003 09:11 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Some of my favorite albums of late include Interpol's Turn On the Bright Lights, Longwave's The Strangest Things, and Sparta's Wiretap Scars.

#168096 - 28/06/2003 21:07 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I know I've suggested it on the board before, but I'm still listening to it regularly, and I'm seeing the band in July for the second time this year:

Rilo Kiley ~ The Execution of All Things

I LOVE THIS ALBUM. But hey, not everyone will like it. They're one of the groups on upcoming Saddle Creek label. I'm not too much of a fan of the other artists, but Rilo Kiley are just fantastic.

#168097 - 29/06/2003 03:41 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
Puressence - 'Walking Dead'
Doves - 'Last Broadcast'

Edited by jarob10 (29/06/2003 03:44)

#168098 - 29/06/2003 09:21 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: jarob10]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Doves' first album 'Lost Souls' is cracking too and well worth a listen.

Andy M

#168099 - 29/06/2003 18:24 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
visuvius
addict

I strongly recommend Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons.

#168100 - 29/06/2003 19:11 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh, and I also tend to get an album and listen to it non-stop for a week or two. My current round-the-clock listening consists of:

The Flaming Lips ~ The Soft Bulletin

I think that between now and two weeks ago, the tracks on this album have reached at least 15 plays on my empeg

#168101 - 29/06/2003 22:01 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Interpol's Turn On the Bright Lights,

Yours is maybe the third mention of this that I'd seen, so on a lark I put it on reserve at the library, and in the time before it showed up I heard one track that got my attention on the radio.

Well, I've had it for two weeks now, and, while most of it isn't my cup of tea, I am still really hooked on what might be the simplest cut -- Untitled. So here I am in the classic quandary -- buy an LP for one song?

Must get a Mac, eh?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#168102 - 30/06/2003 00:07 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
How about Creed!

/me fans the flames...

#168103 - 30/06/2003 09:51 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
mvigneau

Loc: Manchester, NH
If you like Stand up Comedy,
Dane Cook is releasing a new CD worldwide on July 22nd that was previously only available on his website and at his shows.

He is the funniest stand-up comedian right now.

-=- Warning -=-
He uses a lot of vulgar language, especially the F-Word.

#168104 - 30/06/2003 10:43 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: mvigneau]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I love Dane Cook. I would say that there are funnier out there. Mitch Hedberg is fantastic, and David Cross's album is a must-have for angry people , but Cook is hilarious too

#168105 - 08/07/2003 12:44 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
six41
new poster

Loc: pdx, OR, USA
it may be too late! well, maybe you happened to buy it anyway. highly recommended = spoon - kill the moonlight. skip no tracks . . . quality for start to finish. check allmusic.com for more info. indie-pop beauty.

#168106 - 08/07/2003 20:38 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ok, to report back, I picked up:

Interpol ~ Turn On the Bright Lights
Sparta ~ Wiretap Scars
Rilo Kiley ~ The Execution of All Things
Doves ~ Last Broadcast

Overall, I have enjoyed the Doves and Interpol. Sparta is still the active playlist, and seems to be more rockish then the other two. Still deciding what I think about it, but so far it's pretty good. Rilo, not really an entire album I enjoyed. The last parts on a few of the songs were weird, and didn't seem to really fit.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll keep the others for a later time, as I am mostly happy by the 4 CDs that I picked from the list.

#168107 - 08/07/2003 22:29 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Damn. Sorry

#168108 - 08/07/2003 22:53 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The good news is I just though of someone who would probably like it, so I'll give it to them for their empeg.

#168109 - 09/07/2003 07:33 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Two of my suggestions, huh? You should really think more about taking my word for anything.

Seriously, though, I think this is the exact reason music sharing is good. If you could have just listened to Dignan's copy of that Rilo Kiley album, you'd need not have wasted your $15 on it. Or maybe you'd have been inclined to like something that you thought you wouldn't.

See, I think we're (mostly) all friends here, and letting friends borrow music you've got is part of American (if not worldwide) culture, and I don't see anything wrong with that. If we were closer, I'm sure I'd have let you borrow my albums (including the Longwave one, which after seeing your impressions of the other albums, I have the feeling you'd like more than the Sparta album -- it's more mellow), and the internet allows me to do that without needing to be physically close. And it's not like either of us would gain anything, anyway, as I hardly ever touch my CDs once they're on the empeg, and I trust you enough to buy it yourself if you thought you'd buy it after hearing a CD you'd have to return to me.

Anyway, rant done.

#168110 - 09/07/2003 07:55 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I totally agree with everything you're saying. "Try before you buy" is good for everyone involved because it allows the buyer to spend money more effeciently and therefore be more pleased with the product. This, in turn, is good for the record companies because it means happier customers.

#168111 - 09/07/2003 07:59 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

But it's worse for ``musicians'' who should have chosen a different field. Who are the same ones that don't want for folks to pay for and download songs individually.

#168112 - 09/07/2003 07:59 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: JeffS]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
This, in turn, is good for the record companies because it means happier customers.

...as if they care...

#168113 - 09/07/2003 08:08 Re: $50 to spend on CDs, what to buy? [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

But it's worse for ``musicians'' who should have chosen a different field.
Or maybe were in the correct field but should have gotten out a while ago . . .

#168114 - 09/07/2003 08:21 Are albums dead? [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The last few comments in this thread have me thinking about the future of the album in modern music. Is the concept of an album still relevant in a day and age when people want to buy single songs? I don't know a whole lot about the history of recorded music, but I am reasonably sure that the single came first (on 78RPM and 45RPM records) and the album came later (on "LP" records.) If I'm wrong about this, then please correct me.

Anyway, one of the reasons I've heard cited for artists not wanting songs to be downloaded individually is a fear that the whole idea of an album as an artform will go the way of the 8-track tape. This begs the question: How many albums really have a cohesive musical or lyrical theme these days? And even for albums which don't have a discernable theme, is the idea of combining and arranging songs on an album a good idea from an artistic point of view? Clearly, some songs on an album are going to be hits, and others aren't. Will the disappearance of the album hurt music in the long run by putting even more pressure on musicians to make "hit" records? The album allows musicians to "sneak in" some more experimental songs which might not have as much hit potential... With people buying individual songs, are record comapnies going to waste time recording and producing individual songs that might not sell?

This is, to me, a very interesting concept. Were albums just an outgrowth of the physical limitations of the distribution media (records, tapes, CDs) or do they serve another artistic purpose? And as a follow-up, do the record companies and musicians actually have a point when they show a reluctance to sell songs as individual units, rather than as albums? Of course singles have been available at an inflated price for a long time on tape and CD, but with things like Apple's iTunes, it seems there's a coup going on where listeners want individual songs cheap. Is this good for music?

#168115 - 09/07/2003 08:30 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Is the concept of an album still relevant in a day and age when people want to buy single songs?

Is that really common? I deal in whole albums, only, which is typically why I end up buying things. I also tend to shy from compilations. There may be only one song on the album I want to hear, but the thing is, I might someday care about more, and it's better to have it now, available...

but with things like Apple's iTunes, it seems there's a coup going on where listeners want individual songs cheap. Is this good for music?

Probably not. Even now there have been hits which were late coming, or songs with cult popularity which weren't hits. I'm not sure that will still happen.

#168116 - 09/07/2003 08:38 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

To touch only a few of your points, my thought is that the hit single is just a marketing technique for selling albums. As a consumer, I prefer albums, as I'm likely to be more interested in the stuff that a radio station would never play. That being said, I can understand the desire of some consumers to just want to buy a single, especially at a reasonable price. I remember when I was younger and you could still buy singles at the local record store on cassette, 45, and even, occasionally, CD form, they cost about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the album, so it made sense to me to just get the album and hope that there would be one or two more songs on there that I'd like. Of course, it helps that I usually have the preternatural sense to spot a single that has nothing else good on the album. The last time I was wrong about this (to my knowledge) was with Fastball and their album All the Pain Money Can Buy, about which I had come to that conclusion based on their first single off the album, but then they released a second which was also good. It turns out that the rest of the album is crap; they just happened to have two good singles instead of the more usual one.

Anyway, I know that with artists that produce good albums, I tend to prefer the non-single tracks more, and I don't want to see that go away. On the same note, it might help the one-hit wonders to be able to effectively sell individual songs, as I think many folks lose their taste after buying the album and finding that they only want to listen to the one song. If that's the only song they've got, then the desire for more might linger until they can produce another good song.

I find that good albums are cohesive these days. Maybe not so much as Dark Side of the Moon, etc., but stll a good amount. However, I think this is due to the fact that it's all made at one time with one producer and engineer than the similar artistic merit of the music behind it. Not that that's inherently invalid, but I usually find albums to be more entertaining to listen to than random songs. Three minutes isn't enough to cure me of my fix for whatever; I usually need 45 minutes or so. I also think that there's a real art in song placement on an album. The songs may not have a lot of inherent interrelation, but the pacing and flow from one song to the next can make or break an album for me. Also note that a lot of the big singles acts albums are an inchoerent mess, even if most of the songs themselves are good, and I think that's due to the mishmash of different production styles, as almost every song has a different producer/engineer credit from the others.

Personally, I also hate it when bands release songs that are only available in a specifc, non-album manner. I only have so much money to spend on music, and in the choice between buying something new for $15 versus spending $8 on a bunch of stuff I already have plus one new song, the new wins every time. Maybe this is the way that bands could release individual non-album songs -- have me download them for $1. I could do that.

I'm sure I've got more to say. I'll come back later.

Edited by wfaulk (09/07/2003 08:42)

#168117 - 09/07/2003 08:46 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

For a local artist nothing beats having a CD for people to buy when they’re “in the moment”. I think it will be a long time before we go totally digital, and even the musicians are going to have physical copies of their wares. Add to this the simple economy of scale to recording an album vs. 10 separate “singles” and I think the “album” concept will persist in at least some form.

#168118 - 09/07/2003 08:57 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

my thought is that the hit single is just a marketing technique for selling albums
I think Tony's point is that this is the way it is now, but in the past and possibly in the future, media formats will yield a more single oriented market.

Yes, Tony, that history is correct, as far as I can remember. And dbrashear, I have the same listening habits. I only listen to whole albums, and stay away from singles and compilations.

It's my impression that artists and groups create albums as a part of the art of making music. It doesn't have to be a concept album, but most of the time there is a logical flow of tracks throughout the disc. Perhaps the most basic pop artists don't do this (the boy bands don't even write their own music, so how could they?), but when I listen to Superunknown by Soundgarden, an album over 70 minutes long, I want to listen to it as a whole.

I tend to think that a shift towards a singles market is bad for music. Like someone said, the "filler" tracks can sometimes be your favorites, or even prove to be great hits ("No Rain" wasn't the first or second choice for Blind Melon).

The other thing I wonder is how you deal with live recordings. I don't want to have to piece together a bunch of songs from every which-way in order to get a full concert off of iTunes or something.

Ah boy I'm rambling again. What do I know, nobody even listens to or likes the same music I do

#168119 - 09/07/2003 09:52 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
This begs the question: How many albums really have a cohesive musical or lyrical theme these days?
As a side to this thread... I just picked up the new The Mars Volta album (Omar and Cedric of At the Drive-In's new group). The entire album is Cedric's interpretation of what he thinks his friend is experiencing while in a coma after a failed suicide. Pretty cohesive, and highly recommended, especially if you were an At the Drive-In fan.

#168120 - 09/07/2003 10:06 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Out of curiosity, have you listened to that Sparta album (they're the others from At the Drive-In), and, if so, what did you think? I was surprised how different it was from AtDI, but I happened to like it a lot, even more than AtDI, as it turns out, but I can see how an AtDI fan might not like it at all.

#168121 - 09/07/2003 11:08 Re: Are albums dead? [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Yeah, i actually liked the Sparta stuff a lot as well. Part of the reason ATDI split in the first place was because they wanted to go in different directions, and that absolutely shows with the two resulting bands. The more emo soft style of Sparta against the more experimental mish mash of The Mars Volta. I like them both... very talented groups. Sparta isn't anywhere near as good live however... i mean energy wise. Musically, great, but they definitely aren't ATDI on stage... but then again, most of the insanity that ATDI presented on stage was all Cedrick and Omar anyway. Some of the best live shows i've ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >