Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#170447 - 14/07/2003 01:28 The end of the RIAA?
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Have a look at this rather windy post.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#170448 - 14/07/2003 12:45 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: schofiel]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Yes, I do like seeing them hoist by their own petard.

Another article, this one via /.
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#170449 - 14/07/2003 21:19 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: n6mod]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
CharleD's Idea just seems too good to be true.

I like the concept. Providing music so cheaply as to make piracy just too much of a bother.

#170450 - 15/07/2003 00:20 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: gbeer]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Providing music so cheaply as to make piracy just too much of a bother.

For the last couple years I have been thinking something along these lines is the only legal music distribution model that could work at this point. Get rid of the concept of purchasing music and simply do music on demand for a minimal monthly fee. Of course this presupposes sufficient, ubiquitous, wireless bandwidth so that nobody needs a physical copy of the music. Take a device the size of an iPod and replace the hard drive with a WiFi or 3G radio and a slick search interface similar to the empegs and let everyone have access to every song ever recorded for $5-$10 a month. Allow creation of flexible playlists so you could still create your music library, but without storing the actual files on the device. The technology is getting close, but the traditional music distribution model needs to die first.

-Mike

#170451 - 20/07/2003 20:48 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: mcomb]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What happens if I want to listen to music while in a remote location? Music-on-Demand would increase piracy in my opinion. For instance, if I were denied the ability to buy pre-recorded music, I would *not* pay a monthly bill to access a service. I would download everything I wanted for free and never think twice about it. Maybe mailing a few bills directly to the artists every now and then.

Bruno

#170452 - 20/07/2003 23:02 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: hybrid8]
msandrews
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, U.S.A.
The idea you proposed seems like something someone from the RIAA would devise. I mean thats instantaneous infinite revenue for them. They would never have to worry about producing good music again.

If I was an artist I wouldn't 'buy' into that scheme. If my new music was that good, I wouldn't allow it to be placed on that network making it inconvienent to use since you have to not only use the 'all encompasing' music network but also illlegally download it somewhere else and not even be able to play it on the device you proposed. If it was that good I think people would pay for it in that situation. However I do feel that the current pricing scheme must change.

#170453 - 20/07/2003 23:25 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: msandrews]
msandrews
new poster

I think the best solution is to sell CD quality music, i.e. lossless formats such as FLAC over the internet per song and then crack down like the KGB on pirates so that it really makes it not worth it to steal music. Selling individual songs would make artists create better music since most albums these days only have maybe one good song and then a bunch of crap. If you liked the entire album then maybe you could purchase it at a discount price. Have individual songs cost $1 and maybe an lbum that has 15 songs cost $10. The question then comes to who can sell the music or how do you charge for music downloads say on a peer to peer network.

Of course this won't solve the problem of finding smaller unkown artists versus financially backed artists of the RIAA and their brand of canned teenie pop music.

I think the real question that needs be asked is how can we as music fans find a better way to listen to the unknown music that we love?

#170454 - 21/07/2003 01:08 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: schofiel]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

It's getting pretty silly now - time to fight back, you people.

#170455 - 21/07/2003 05:43 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: msandrews]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
crack down like the KGB on pirates so that it really makes it not worth it to steal music

the real question that needs be asked is how can we as music fans find a better way to listen to the unknown music that we love
Well, the traditional way is to listen to music for free and decided whether or not you like it. But ClearChannel, et al., don't want us to listen to stuff we haven't already heard and isn't approved for new airplay. So the only thing left is to let your friends borrow your music. But that violates your first thesis.

#170456 - 21/07/2003 06:38 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
There are always places like mp3.com where artists make their stuff available for free. None of the big stuff, of course, but then you can get that on Clear Channel anyway. I suppose it's in the middle stuff that's the real problem (signed to a major but not hugely popular).

#170457 - 21/07/2003 23:12 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: JeffS]
msandrews
new poster

'Im' talking about people on the internet not people who borrow cd's. I didn't say the RIAA would like that idea. I think they just want to crack down on every one and keep the distribution system the same. Being able to sell a cd generates alot more revenue than a single song so well see how far they go with this single song thing at apple.

#170458 - 22/07/2003 02:31 Respect! [Re: schofiel]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Although he's not been flavour of the month for a while, this show's Michael has not completely lost it. Good man, this changes my attitude to him!

#170459 - 22/07/2003 04:43 Re: The end of the RIAA? [Re: msandrews]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I think they just want to crack down on every one and keep the distribution system the same.
And that's the big problem. I remember one concept that made an impression on me during my business classes at school: If you want to succeed, find out what someone would have to do to put you out of business and then do that before they can. This is the concept that has made Bill Gates so successful (though admittedly a lot of it he did unethically). This is not, however, the strategy the RIAA is choosing to employ. They are holding on for dear life to their current model, and someday that model is going to be outdated. Is a recipe for disaster, but they're too busy blaming people who use mp3s (some of us even legally) to notice.

#170460 - 22/07/2003 06:40 Re: Respect! [Re: schofiel]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
His statements are even more interesting considering the amount of music he owns the rights to in addition to his own music.

#170461 - 29/07/2003 06:39 Interesting comment on legal situation re. RIAA [Re: schofiel]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

This link is of some interest.