Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172099 - 24/07/2003 14:00 Need some help and you guys know who to ask...
jimmym
new poster

I;m having trouble with my Mark II. It keeps booting and
rebooting reading different songs but never playing and refusing to register at a stopping point in my car or on my computer. I'm certainly in a jam and would appreciate any direction. I need a reliable fix it man because I'm not comfortable trying to do it myself after reading the tech. reports on the sight and I'm at a bit of an impasse. any suggestions?

Thanks.

#172100 - 24/07/2003 14:13 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: jimmym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is the problem you're having this problem?

#172101 - 24/07/2003 14:26 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: tfabris]
jimmym
new poster

I think it is. The problem is I can't get the unit to except any upgrades because it won't stop rebooting. I also think I havent installed the upgrades correctly. Essentially I need a pro. I'm not bad with a computer bu I'm so nervous about further screwing up my unit that I don't mind paying and sending it off to have one of you pros fix it. Tony, you are obviuosly a guru at this, what do you suggest? thank you sir,

Jim

#172102 - 24/07/2003 14:34 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: jimmym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The problem is I can't get the unit to except any upgrades because it won't stop rebooting.
Please be clear:

Is the problem that it's trying to play a song, and then it reboots?

Or is it that you tried to apply an upgrade, and the upgrade failed, and now it can't even boot into the player software?

Which is it? It's important that we know exactly which one it is. Because an upgrade is not going to fix the first problem. The player will try to play the same song even after an upgrade is applied. The upgrades, by design, don't hurt the music.

If all you're trying to do is get an upgrade to work, do it like this:

1. Unplug the player's power cord.
2. Start the upgrader software on the PC.
3. Only when you are prompted to do so by the software, plug in the player's power cord.

That is how you get it to accept an upgrade without rebooting.

Essentially I need a pro.
I am, and I'm trying to help so that you don't need to send it off. If none of your upgrades seem to work, make sure to read all the details here and follow all the steps.

#172103 - 24/07/2003 14:44 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: tfabris]
jimmym
new poster

Here's the detailed situation:

It was playing a song then stopped mid song and the arrow that indictaed the song was playing remained on the screen.

I then pulled the unit out and slid it back in and it rebooted and simply showed the scrren that said " End of Playlist " However, the "End of Playlist" words were out of sync and up against the left side of the screen instead of in the middle where it usually appears. Then after a few seconds it would reboot on its own and try to play the song again.

So then I took it inside and hooked it up to the computer. When hooked up to the computer it would boot up, try to play the song, then reboot again and go to the beginning of the playlist with the same arrow indicating a song playing but no song would play. Then it would keep rebooting alternating between the song and the beginning of the playlist with neither song playing and no response on the empode box.

Also, of all the upgrades on the empeg site, I'm not sure which to download and install or how to access them and install them on an XP windows.

OK, there you go. Thank you very much for your help.

#172104 - 24/07/2003 15:00 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: jimmym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, then, you do NOT want an upgrade because it won't solve that problem.

You want to first try the procedure I first linked in my first reply. You don't need a pro to do it for you, it's possible to do yourself if you take your time and carefully read the instructions.

And, incidentally, remember which song it was. Because that's the problem: it's a bad song file. You will need to delete it when this is all said and done.

#172105 - 24/07/2003 15:10 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: tfabris]
jimmym
new poster

Great, Okay I'll give it a shot. The lastthing before I start. Can you spell out exactly which of the softwar I need to download ( the developer's software ) because being the nove that I am, its confusing on what I should download from the empeg site...taht link includes so many options. Thank you again.

#172106 - 24/07/2003 15:39 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: jimmym]
jimmym
new poster

Tony, for instance, I've donwloaded this and am installing...

emplode PC software for Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP. USB drivers included (refer to release notes).
Download Now (1971791 bytes)

Now where might I mfind the "firmware" install?

#172107 - 24/07/2003 16:00 Re: Need some help and you guys know who to ask... [Re: jimmym]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Okay.

Basically, you want the Mark2 / Mark2a Developer release. This one. It is 3984247 bytes.