Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172951 - 31/07/2003 07:14 Rechargeable batteries
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've put it off too long. I need to start using rechargeable batteries. I'm tired of buying new batteries for my wireless mouse, and I need something to get for my girlfriend since she has a wireless desktop package.

The problem is I can't seem to find good ones. I bought some reasonably good brand at Radio Shack a couple years ago, and the stuff just doesn't work. I'll put the batteries in the charger, plug it in the wall, and hours later the batteries won't work (yes, I was putting them in the right direction ).

So can anyone recommend a good charger and a good brand of batteries? I would assume the same brand as the charger, but I could be wrong.

#172952 - 31/07/2003 07:35 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

I got tired of buying batteries for my cordless mouse, as well. I bought a Logitech MX700. The only other device I have that runs on batteries is my Logitech keyboard, which doesn't go through them very quickly at all. Perhaps it's not the solution you're looking for, but I had to mention it anyway because I'm very happy with it. I think I'm becoming a fan of Logitech products.

#172953 - 31/07/2003 07:43 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I am a very big fan of Logitech products, but I don't want to get the MX700. My dad has one of those and the button placement is just too strange for me. I love the "Cordless Mouseman Optical's" shape, and I prefer the thumb button right where it is, on the bottom of the mouse. I can't live without that double click

I really wish they had released a version of that which was rechargeable. That would have been ideal for me.

Anyway, they do have some really good products. For my girlfriend's new computer, I suggested she get the Z640's, because they came highly recommended. Well, they sound fantastic, are incredibly small, and only cost $65 at Newegg! They aren't nearly as powerfull as my Promedia's, but they're 1/3rd the cost!

#172954 - 31/07/2003 08:06 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Dignan]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I used to find rechargeable batteries recharged a disappointing number of times, and saved me precious little, until I took them out and ran them completely flat with a battery holder wired to a torch bulb, and recharged them with the charger connected to a timer, charging them for a precise 14 hours - I can't now remember when I last had to renew the batteries.

#172955 - 31/07/2003 08:38 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: boxer]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
There are three major categories of rechargable batteries in retail trade, each with their own quirks. The three types are Nickel Cadmium (NiCad), Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), and Lithium Ion (Lithium). Oh yeah, there's also "rechargable" alkalines. Each type has its own charging scheme.

For a good basic understanding there's good information here. Rechargable batteries are called 'secondary batteries' while single use batteries are called 'primary batteries'. The section on rechargable lithiums seems to be missing tho.

The executive summary:
NiCd: Can have a 'memory', long shelf life, low power density, low cost
NiMh: Short shelf life, high power density, moderate cost
Lithium: Long shelf life, highest power densities, highest cost
"Rechargable" Alkaline: Long shelf life, high power density, limited charging cycles, moderate cost.

I hope this is helpful.

-Zeke

#172956 - 31/07/2003 09:02 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Ezekiel]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, that's helpful. I didn't think they had AA's in all those categories, do they?

#172957 - 31/07/2003 09:12 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
My digital camera runs on four "AA" 1800 mAh NiMH batteries. Looks like they have 2000 mAh out now that'll run longer than that... They ain't cheap though.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/starbattery/index.html

#172958 - 31/07/2003 10:06 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Ezekiel]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
The ones I refer to are NiCd, and as you point out, they have possible memory effect, hence the complete discharge before recharge cycle, some of the AA's I use in flash guns, computer keyboard, radio control and torches, are at least ten years old.

#172959 - 31/07/2003 11:49 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: tonyc]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Yeah, both the NiMh and Lithiums are pricey compared to Alkaline and NiCd.

For your wireless mouse I'd say go with either NiCd or Lithiums. Lithiums will have a longer life (higher energy density & very low self discharge) but NiCd's would do as well. I can't seem to find rechargable Lithiums in a AA package. I'd avoid NiMH as you'd be charging them almost bi-weekly due to their self discharge characteristics.

Panasonic batteries (NiCd, Alkaline and NiMH) are available through Digi-Key, but they don't carry chargers. Walmart has a pretty good selection of chargers for AA's, but be sure to match to the battery type/chemistry. Energizer makes a AA Lithium that's available through Mouser 525-L91BP-2 for $5.81 for 2, but it's not rechargable.

Oh yeah, avoid 'Heavy Duty' (Zinc Chloride and Carbon Zinc) batteries. They have a very low energy density (ie they die butt fast).

-Zeke

#172960 - 31/07/2003 14:19 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Ezekiel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
"Rechargable" Alkaline: Long shelf life, high power density, limited charging cycles, moderate cost.

The trick to the rechargeable alkalines is to avoid deep cycling them.

If you only discharge them by about 25% (leaving them still 75% charged) and then recharge them, you can get hundreds of duty cycles out of them.

A disadvantage of NiCd batteries is their cell voltage is 1.2 volts instead of the 1.5 volts of alkaline batteries. Sometimes this voltage difference can be enough that a device won't even work on NiCds. A system designed to run on six volts would only be receiving less than 5 volts with NiCds.

Lithium batteries have terrific energy density -- but in terms of cost per watt-hour, are the most expensive and are truly nasty when it comes time to dispose of them.

tanstaafl.

#172961 - 01/08/2003 17:55 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Dignan]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Here's the world's worst-designed website with the world's best rechargeables/rechargers for sale for good prices:

http://www.batterysupply.com/

#172962 - 01/08/2003 20:58 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: DLF]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Here's the world's worst-designed website with...
lol no kidding

So is there a particular product that you recommend on that page?

#172963 - 01/08/2003 22:11 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: DLF]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

You know, now that you post the link I have to agree. I kept coming back to these guys a few years ago when doing my battery research for a new product. Too funny.

-Zeke

#172964 - 02/08/2003 04:24 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: DLF]
tman
carpal tunnel

Nah. I'd say the Bull Electrical one is worse. I used to live quite close to their shop. Great place to rummage around and find bizarre bits of equipment.
I've bought loads of stuff off them over the years. I've got a 1/4 mile reel of what they said is guided missile wire somewhere

#172965 - 02/08/2003 14:44 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: Dignan]
DLF
addict

I was afraid you'd ask that, since I'm not sure what you need. But since most people don't have a "smart" charger, and AA is the most commonly needed size for consumer electronics, then try this "combo kit numero uno" out:

http://www.batterysupply.com/mh-c204f-4aa220dc.htm

#172966 - 02/08/2003 14:53 Re: Rechargeable batteries [Re: tman]
DLF
addict

Man, that is some serious web-design competition from across the pond.

I love to browse stuff in places like that. Electronics enthusiasts flea markets are another geek hotspot....