Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17329 - 11/09/2000 06:51 Mk2 Equalizer button optimization
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Here's a thought - one of my biggest gribes on the EQ is that it's hard to exit from it, especially using the front buttons... Right now, tapping volume knob just acts like the down button; why not make pressing the button once go back to the eq menu (the eq name/2-4 channel/save/etc), and holding the button down exit without saving?
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#17330 - 11/09/2000 13:29 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: dionysus]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
why not make pressing the button once go back to the eq menu

...and while we're at it, can we figure some way of moving through the EQ presets in descending order as well as ascending? It is annoying to inadvertently advance to the next preset and have to cycle through fourteen more of them to get back to where I was.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17331 - 11/09/2000 14:58 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: tanstaafl.]
bryan
journeyman

Loc: New Zealand
You can already do this, hilight the preset and use the AM- and FM+ buttons on the remote.

#17332 - 11/09/2000 17:25 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: bryan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You can already do this, hilight the preset and use the AM- and FM+ buttons on the remote.

You learn something new every day!

Rob

#17333 - 11/09/2000 17:42 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Is there posted anywhere, all in one nice, neat location, a chart showing what each remote button does in each operating mode? Something patterned after the chart in the owners manual showing the front panel buttons? Or maybe a series of enlarged drawings of the remote, one drawing for each operating mode, with the buttons clearly labelled as to function in that mode. It would be nice to have this in a nice PDF format that could be downloaded and printed.

Quite frankly, telling me to press the DNPP button to do one thing, and the CH-MD-Jabberwocky button (or whatever the heck it is called) to do something else is so counter-intuitive that I don't even bother with the remote. If I can't do it on the front panel, I don't do it. This means I miss out on some of the empeg's bells and whistles... but I bought it to play music, and that's what I do with it.

Yeah, people have called me a luddite and a grumpy old curmudgeon, but I find that offensive because I don't really think I'm all that old.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17334 - 11/09/2000 22:03 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: tanstaafl.]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Hint: ignore the writing on the buttons. The placement of them on the remote becomes very intuitive with only about 5 minutes of use. The DNPP is the "return" key of sorts...it's silver and stands out on the remote. moving through menues is left and right, next to the DNPP, pretty intuitive. I won't go into explaining it all, it's in the manual. Just wanted to comment that i to thought that the labeling of buttons was so counter intuitive to make it annoying, but if you take 5 minutes to just push the buttons and feel where they are, you'd be amazed at how quickly you can navigate without even looking at the remote. I put an incredibly tiny drop of superglue on the top of the DNPP button to use that as the "home" location...sorta like the 5 on the numeric keypad and the j and f on the keyboard.

You aren't old =]. Just takes some getting used to.

A custom remote is gonna be sweet though..that's for sure.

|| loren.cox

#17335 - 12/09/2000 16:42 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: tanstaafl.]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
I thought everyone has seen this, but apparently not :)

Donato

ricin.us

#17336 - 12/09/2000 16:46 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: ricin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'd like to see one from the guys at empeg (or maybe a new faceplate for the remote, if possible), I could try, but I doubt it'd be as pretty :)

The empeg guys are working on a custom remote as we speak. No more "Dnpp" and "Cd-md-ch".

#17337 - 12/09/2000 16:49 Re: Mk2 Equalizer button optimization [Re: tfabris]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Damn, you're fast! :)
I just saw this, and quickly came back and removed that portion of my post. I guess I just don't READ enough :)

Donato

ricin.us