Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#174183 - 07/08/2003 19:19 Stopping hardware detection on XP pro
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I would like to stop windows XP from running the add new hardware wizard everytime I insert a PCMCIA card in my laptop.

The card is a flash ram card used for updating firmware on Ricoh copiers. It uses a special program to write to the card and the card doesn't have / need a driver so I have to cancel out of the wizard everytime I insert a card.

Matt

#174184 - 08/08/2003 01:01 Re: Stopping hardware detection on XP pro [Re: msaeger]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
Hi there,

Instead of cancelling the wizard, humour it by going through the motions of installing a driver (which will obviously fail, because you don't have / need one) but at least then the system has the hardware in its list, albeit "not working" which should prevent the wizard............... MAYBE!

Good luck in your quest to slay the wizard............ Sim

#174185 - 08/08/2003 01:04 Re: Stopping hardware detection on XP pro [Re: simspos]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think you're right I remember that happening when I was actually trying to install a piece of hardware then I had to figure out how to get it to detect it again.

Thanks

Matt