Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#175586 - 17/08/2003 20:09 Sign of the times...identity theft.
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Sigh, I got back to the US from France today to find a stack of credit card bills for cards I never had. It seems someone has acquired a series of credit cards in my name. Near as I can tell the total is 10K.

The cards were opened in June and July using an old texas address of mine at mostly department stores. They have apparently passed a bad check using my name also.

I'm going to start the long slog of calling credit card companies tomorrow morning. Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

#175587 - 17/08/2003 20:18 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: Mach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't have any advice, but I hope it all works out OK for you in the end.

#175588 - 17/08/2003 21:32 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: tfabris]
Mach
old hand

Thanks, I'm not exactly sure what fun and games I'm in for but after enduring an 8 hour plane ride with continual kicking from a 4 year old in the seat behind me, I'm hoping fate/karma/et al takes it in to due consideration that I didn't choke him or his parents.

#175589 - 17/08/2003 22:14 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: Mach]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
That is not cool, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things go smoothly. From what I've heard other people say, when dealing with credit issues, it's possible to get anything resolved as long as you stay diligent and keep records of everything. Also be sure to check with all three credit-reporting agencies to make sure they all clear up any inaccuracies. If just one of them has something listed wrong, it can cause you problems in the future. As long as you stay on their cases, they'll eventually clear things up.

Good luck!

- trs

Hey - at least you're back from the heat-wave catastrophe!

#175590 - 17/08/2003 22:48 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: trs24]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Keeping with the "keep records of everything" theme, a police report should be filed immediately.

Also, might want to take a look at this site.
ricin.us

#175591 - 18/08/2003 08:01 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: Mach]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
You have my sympathies.

The Washington Post ran this story on an identity theft victim. The catch was that the thief was also wanted for murder, and the identy theft victim's name was listed as an AKA. The thief was shown on America's Most Wanted, once again with the victim's name as an AKA. Also, America's Most Wanted put the identy theft victim's social security number on their web site. "Officials at the show later said police suggested including it as a detail that might lead to [the thief's] arrest.".

The local police did give the victim a letter stating that he was not the murder suspect so he wouldn't get hauled to jail if they ran his license on a routine traffic stop.

Unreal, but way too real for the victim.

-jk

#175592 - 18/08/2003 08:11 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: Mach]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Slashdot had an ask /. about "Identity Theft Countermeasures?" a week ago. Yes I know it can be very annoying but alot of good info was posted.

Here is what I had to say

#175593 - 18/08/2003 09:42 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: trs24]
Mach
old hand

Thanks, I've contacted all 3 credit agencies to file a security alert. I'll follow up with them by the weekend.

True, true...I am out of Paris so there is a bright side in there somewhere and its called taco bell.

#175594 - 18/08/2003 09:44 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: ricin]
Mach
old hand

Thanks, like I'm going to need all of the info at that link. It would appear that the enterprising criminal has my SS# and DL# which blow my mind because I'm almost paranoid about those numbers. I'm waiting for a call back from the PD now. Arghh.

#175595 - 19/08/2003 00:09 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: Mach]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I think that's the first time I've heard of Taco Bell being called the bright side of anything.

The only identity theft I've had to deal with is when some hoser signed me up for the Columbia House Video and CD thing. I got it sorted out by a) asking them to compare the signatures between the video deal and the CD deal which I had signed up for earlier, and 2) asking them for a run down of the CDs bought fraudulently, compared to the CDs I had bought. The person on the other end of the phone was very understanding, and agreed almost immediately that I wouldn't have bought the CDs I was supposed to have bought -- 2 copies of Bush X, amongst other crap. Not that what I had bought back then was much better, but one doesn't suddenly go from Megadeth to Bush X and other teeny-bopper rock bands. (They reversed the charges.)

#175596 - 19/08/2003 18:25 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: Mach]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
All I know is what you've already done. I recently had a similar event but to a smaller degree, someone grabbed my cc numbers and name and address and such and made a bunch of online purchases. Simply cancelled the card, went over on the phone what was and wasn't mine, and had it all reversed. They took it from there.

You'll see some forms in the mail, one of the checkboxes will be "never applied for the card". You sign and date it and return it, and it should be fine.

THe credit report links are a good idea though, I imagine that's the only thing that will cause any grief, being the middleman between corporations that should be talking to each other but won't.

#175597 - 23/08/2003 05:52 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: canuckInOR]
Mach
old hand

Let's just say the transition to French food has it's ups and downs

I wish I could call one person and get this sorted. I've contacted the Police but I expect this to languish because of the dollar amount. Although I am twitchy to call to find out what the knucklehead bought at discount tire for $2000.

#175598 - 23/08/2003 05:56 Re: Sign of the times...identity theft. [Re: tracerbullet]
Mach
old hand

Yah, the forms are arriving now. One of the things that I did find out though is to submit a written credit report security alert to the credit agencies in addition to a phone call. It seems that a phone call will only keep the credit alert in place for 90 days and a written request lasts for 7 years.