Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17634 - 13/09/2000 21:24 The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

Loc: CALI
basicly i want to debate what is the best loudspeaker avalible for car and audio. From my experaince i would have to say diamond audios HEX series here are some basic specs.

Type: Separate
Drivers: Tweeter, Midbass
Drivers per Channel: 2
Power Range (watts): 20-170
Imped (ohms): 4
Crossover Included: Y
Sensitivity with w/2.83-V input @ 1 meter (dB SPL): 91
Freq,. Response _Hz to _kHz (±3dB): 42-24(a) 42-22(s)
Woofer Cone Material: Kevlar Sandwich
Tweeter Cone Material: Aluminum / Silk
Mounting Type: Flush, Surface, Angle
Mount Depth Largest Driver: 2-1/8"
Diameter Largest Driver: 6-1/2"

some basic specs i have personaly heard several peairs of these speakers and there awesome!!! btw

www.diamondaudio.com

have to go home (still at work) soo cant wait to see yoru guys posts on what is the best speaker out there..

Im as confused as a babby in a topless bar...

#17635 - 14/09/2000 14:16 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: HighWayDrifter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
what is the best loudspeaker avalible for car and audio.

Well, HighWay, there is no "best" speaker. It all depends on what your preferences are.

I suspect that you are a "boomer" -- you like bass, lots of it, with plenty of impact. (Now why would I think that, of someone driving a modified Honda at speeds approaching double the speed limit?) The speakers you like playing Crystal Method would make me crazy playing Mozart flute concertos.

There is a lot more to speaker evaluation than specifications -- those specifications don't take into account less measurable qualities such as warmth, mellowness, smoothness, and different speakers will have differences in these attributes.

For example, my "stereo guy" (owns the shop that I patronize) has told me that even though MB Quart is a highly respected name in car audio, I won't like their subwoofers because they are too "heavy" sounding. You, on the other hand, might find them exactly what you are looking for.

Whether one speaker is "better" than another depends on application requirements and listener preference.

tanstaafl.

ps: what is a babby?

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17636 - 14/09/2000 15:17 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
See, Andre? Told you Doug would recommend MB Quarts.

#17637 - 14/09/2000 16:48 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: tfabris]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

you did call it man haha wanted to test the waters and actually im somewhat of a bastard when it comes to music as i listen to everything ranging from good ole CCR, teh doors quick silver messenger service to mozart bach and teh rest.. and yes alot of electronic type msuic and some acid jazz reggae and teh such.. may i HIGHLY SUGGEST!!! listeing to sn a pair of daimand audios the price is steep (about 500-550 a pair for 6.5in) but let me tell you teh crystal clear soudn qualities of this loud speaker are flipping awesome it is so crystal clear that with 100 watts (rms mind you) and fully cranked playing Santanna you can hear the same volume level inside the car as u can from 30 feet away (just did this last night in my freidns new explorer) man i just cant praise them enought.. where do you live doug (i think that is what tony called you) ill find you a dealer so maybe u can go listen to hehe
BTW i dont intend to stir a muck just curious as to seeing where peoples prefrences lie on this board sort of testing the waters.

*come to the dark side of the force*

#17638 - 14/09/2000 17:00 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: HighWayDrifter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
where do you live doug (i think that is what tony called you) ill find you a dealer so maybe u can go listen to hehe

Fairbanks, Alaska. Stop by and I'll buy you a beer. No I won't -- you're not of legal drinking age yet. You youngsters!

I'll ask my stereo guy what he thinks of Diamond speakers. We're getting ready to put together a new competition car for me. Right now we're planning on MB Quart for all but the subs... but there's nothing written in stone. Can you point me towards a URL or someplace I can get more information?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17639 - 14/09/2000 17:57 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: tanstaafl.]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

ooo ooo ok ok ok competiton system you say .. now your in my ballpark hehe i am what i like to consider an audiophile of sorts.. i would suggest *just for shits and grins* going with or looking into the following componets.

diamond audio HEX series mids and highs (s600a or s)
pdf at
http://www.diamondaudio.com/car/product_pop/PDFManuals/HEX_Manual_A5.pdf

eclipse audio subwoofers (they provide tight accurate bass with little to no distortion comapred to JL audios..basicly they blow them out of the water in more musical type songs ie not bas bumper songs but they do hold there own even in that..)

another plus to the eclipses is teh need for little airspace i think the 12in sub only needs .5 cube ft. not bad at all there 15 only needs 1 cube foot (to put it in perspective a JL woudl need at least 1.5 to be nominal.

plus the eclipses look purrtty.. haha they have a hefty price tag to (380 a pop for the 10's) which sucks but if u want a comp type system i HIGHLY SUGGEST!!!!!! going with this combo or at least looking into it mano i know your up in Al. but hell maybe that shop can contact diamond and say there intrested in carrying there products and have them ship out a demo pair? (shop i go to did this) same with eclipse.. fyi teh nominal impedence on teh 10in eclipse titanium seris is 750 watts not 500 like i think i said somewhere else

hte links are as follows..

eclipse main page

http://www.eclipse-web.com/top.html

eclipse subwoofer page (the titanium DVC model page)

http://www.eclipse-web.com/product/88000t/88000.html

Dimand Audios Homepage

http://www.diamondaudio.com/car/

will work on findin you some reviews of this stuff man but the eclipse tit. series subs are brand new (y freind is getting a set of 10's but all the stereo guys aroudn my area are in love with them i have heard a pair and was amazed at the accuracy of the bass. honestly i havent rleay heard the diffrence between the alminum based cone and the titanium based cone as all i have heard was the aluminum one i belive (ill have to verify that)

sorry for the long post but i love this stuff mano and i want to give u the best info i can on this ESP if you are going to do a COMP system as i have some experiance with this stuff (3 of my freidns have comp stereos in there cars well comp grade as only one has gone to a comp .. he got 2nd in ameie class i belive in concord ca june or july of 1999.

**********UPDATE**************

found a diamond audio review thsi of there lowley motorsport series (cheaper version of hte hex still very good)

http://www.carstereoreview.com/testreport/diamond/diamond1.htm

Edited by HighWayDrifter on 15/9/00 02:16 AM.

#17640 - 14/09/2000 18:09 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: tanstaafl.]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I have heard the Diamond Audio Hex series and went with their motorsport series. To me the motorsport series sounded better over a wider range of music and they were cheaper. However, if they are not installed in sealed enclosures the frequency response gets messed up pretty bad. This is a tough install because kick panels and doors are usually not completely sealed. Personally, the best speakers I have heard are the Dynaudio system 240/260/360. They are my favorites but cost too much for me. Doug you can demo these at "Man and Machine" in Anchorage. They are not dB drag racing speakers but they sound really good at reasonable volumes. I'm not sure if they have been winning in any national competitions but you don't here much about them here in the US.

Alex Lear

#17641 - 14/09/2000 18:17 Re: The Implications of Audio Loud speaker Performance [Re: alear]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

ill have toy look those up do some research im kidan stuck on teh diamon audios my self :(

just somethign about them.. dynaudio u say?