Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17669 - 14/09/2000 09:32 shuffling with duplicates
njallain
new poster

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
It's a "feature" of the empeg that when shuffle is on, all duplicates in a playlist are removed. This is horrible for me, since, on my computer all my mp3s have a rating (1-10), and I can generate playlists that use the rating as a weight for how many times an mp3 appears in a playlist (I generate playlists of easily over 1000 songs). After making a quick little utility to import the playlists into the empeg, discovered the feature that basically makes my whole rating system useless. Is there a way to turn this off, or a work around that someone can think of? Or do I need to submit a feature request.

#17670 - 14/09/2000 09:35 Re: shuffling with duplicates [Re: njallain]
njallain
new poster

I always post the question right before I figure it out! In case anyone else wants to know. I just turn shuffle off and use the "Always randomise contents" in the playlist properties (I should've know the guys at empeg would have anticipated whiny people like me)

Neil

#17671 - 14/09/2000 09:37 Re: shuffling with duplicates [Re: njallain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Cool, glad you figured it out.

So tell us about this playlist-import utility? Sounds nifty.

#17672 - 14/09/2000 12:27 Re: shuffling with duplicates [Re: tfabris]
njallain
new poster

Nothing really special about it. It's a little python script which relies on the fact that my empeg and my computer have similar directory layouts (at least as far as the music goes). It takes each item in a playlist, figures out where it would be on the empeg, then creates the appropriate link command. It outputs a file that can be redirected into emptool (so no modifications to emptool were needed). Total time to write it was about an hour (and that was with my daughter doing her best to distract me).

Since I'm thinking of it, anyone know what the -e and -l options for the link command do? The man pages don't say a word about them.

Neil.