Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#184118 - 11/10/2003 05:13 Empeg friendly modern cars
Mulkman
new poster

Loc: Peterborough, UK
Am looking for an Empeg-friendly car. All the newer models (I'm looking along lines of mid/larger sized saloons e.g. Vauxhall Vectra/Astra/Omega, Volvo, Seat, Honda Accord, Ford Mondeo, Toyoya Avensis, BMW, Saab 93/95 etc.) seem to have the crappy factory fitted stereos/ built in block units occupying half of the front panel making Empeg accomodation a bit of a problem (unless it goes in boot, glove compartment, under seat etc.).
My old banger's dash is ideal for head unit accomodation but I fear it will die soon. I don't like sporty cars (too much engine noise; can't hear the music!). Ease of Empeg accomodation will be the most important determinant of which motor I'll get next!
I'd like a biggish, quiet and swift car that'll take empeg without too much savaging of the front panel. Any tips welcome.

#184119 - 11/10/2003 05:30 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: Mulkman]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
At last someone who has car buying sorted Will it fit an empeg.

Actually lots of moern cars have a nasty front panal and behind which is either a single or double din slot.

All you need to do is to look around and see which cars you can get the conversion kit or talk to someone with a brain like not the car sales man.

Alternativly find a good car audio sop and see if the cars you are intrested in can be easily upgraded.

Now when talking to any of these people do not mention the word "empeg" as they will look at if you have just grown an extra head and the blank stare will follow. Also ask about where you would mount amps if it is a decent shop.

I am pretty certain that the bmw 3 series can actually take a stereo and i know a honda civic can take one As hugos type R has one and the front fae of the old stereo was gutted and placed over the empeg.

#184120 - 11/10/2003 08:40 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: Mulkman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Some new cars seem to have provision for adding aftermarket satellite radio, among other things. For example, the Acura TSX, virtually the same as the European Honda Accord, has a DIN-and-a-half sized storage pocket below the stereo. Honda makes a replacement for the storage pocket that can mount a single-DIN stereo and leaves a small storage slot. With that plus a $100 3rd party adapter, you can fit an empeg quite easily. At that point, you're still using the factory head unit, which may not be optimal, but it's much cheaper than trying to do everything from scratch.

Of course, all of this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and from car to car. I'm still waiting to hear how successful Bitt ends up doing the empeg integration with his Volvo.

#184121 - 11/10/2003 09:58 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Being extraordinarily pokey on that. Sorry.

#184122 - 11/10/2003 12:34 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: Mulkman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Autoleads.co.uk is always a good bet, they seem to keep fairly up-to-date. As Paul said, the good thing about the stereos in new cars is that they are almost always bigger than DIN, so you're laughing even if you had to make your own dash adaptor (i believe someone made one for one of the big audi's).

My new car purchase was made with the empeg at the forefront. Which reminds me, I really should get round to installing it. Anyone know how to remove the PAS reservoir on a Clio 172? Anyone???

Andy M

#184123 - 11/10/2003 15:11 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: andym]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

i'm a marine engineer with a big hammer

But why you want to take that out ?

#184124 - 12/10/2003 06:23 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: thinfourth2]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Because there's grommet behind it where I can run my power cable to the amps. I can put it straight back afterwards. I just don't like the idea of drilling big holes in my brand new car!

Andy M

#184125 - 12/10/2003 12:18 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: andym]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Bah, it's just a firewall.
What made me nervous when installing mine was that the airbag sensor was 6" away from where I was drilling. With my groin area being in front of the steering column. -=shudder=-

#184126 - 12/10/2003 13:52 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: andym]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

never actualy seen under the bonnet of a clio i can give no direct suggestions

But if not want to remove pipes they can be clamped to stop oil going everywhere

Can't see any probs with a power steering bottle i imagine it would only use self tappers into the body work.

Other than that wihout car in front of me i can offer no assistance

And put the fuse next to battery incase the cable chafes (you probably know anyway but one must be doubly sure)

Edited by thinfourth2 (12/10/2003 13:54)

#184127 - 13/10/2003 13:06 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: Mulkman]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
I know the modern VW Passat and I am fairly certain all their other models will accept the Empeg with little or no problem. You will not be able to use the stock amp, however, if you get the premium sound system.

#184128 - 14/10/2003 04:37 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: Mulkman]
mpelaz
journeyman

Hello

I own a Seat León, with had a quite good factory stereo, but wider than DIN standard.
I got a 6€ adaptor and now it fits perfect.
In fact, near every european car has a DIN hole in wich you can fix your empeg.

Cheers,

Miguel.

#184129 - 14/10/2003 05:19 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: mpelaz]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

VW Golf, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, Mercedes A Class.

All fit with little or no alteration.

#184130 - 14/10/2003 06:06 Re: Empeg friendly modern cars [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
i believe someone made one for one of the big audi's

The Audi problem is it's wider and deeper than din, but my car audio place had a suitable adaptor, so I imagine that any other would. Mine, in the TT, had a flap over the stereo, and the adaptor left that in place.