Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#185121 - 17/10/2003 09:37 Get ready to feel old.
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX

#185122 - 17/10/2003 10:04 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: BAKup]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
That went around work yesterday... i swear man, they must've picked the most smart ass pack of kids ever. If all 13 year olds are that intelligently wise cracking, i fear for middle school teachers everywhere. Ex:

Re: Space Invaders

Tim: This is nothing compared to Grand Theft Auto III, because you can't steal a taxi cab, pick up somebody, then drive into the ocean with him.

Kirk: And you can't pick up an AK-47 and go kill—hey, those aliens on the top row, you use them in EGM for stuff.

EGM: Yeah, we use them to end our articles. They do kinda look like they're from Space Invaders, don't they?

Tim: They're going to sue you.

Kirk: I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead by now.

#185123 - 17/10/2003 10:08 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: loren]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
i agree
they struck me as very intelligent. they say kids these days are raised in the 'im' age, so their speech is going to suck. seems to me like they had a pretty extensive vocabulary and grasp for the language for their age. of course, i dont really remember that age. that was ten years ago.

#185124 - 17/10/2003 10:54 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: BAKup]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
That's a great article. I've been an EGM subscriber for years. Great magazine.

Frankly, I'm not from that generation, but I can still appreciate the games. They aren't my favorites, but they're enjoyable.

It's wierd to me, having grown up in the NES age, that I'm not attracted to new games as much anymore. I lived for Street Fighter II (the first one), but crap like Virtua Fighter 4 and all these fighting games where the moves are 25 button presses long, it all just makes my head hurt. I find that despite really liking my Sega Master System, I most often go back to my SNES games. I can play Link to the Past and FF2/IV an infinite number of times.

#185125 - 17/10/2003 11:03 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I always thought that the games that had special moves and so on that were almost required that took 25 button presses were annoying. To me, the idea behind a good game UI is to make it as close to what you're doing in the game as possible, and those combo moves in said games are as far removed from that as possible.

#185126 - 17/10/2003 11:14 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Agreed on the fighting games. Mortal Kombat is about as advanced of a fighting game as i can get into. The thing with the new fighting games is strange... they are MADE to be complicated and difficult to learn. They attract kids who want to be a part of this group who is really good at something i guess... they spend copious amounts of time figuring out all the best move combos and sharing tips. I have a friend who competed in tournaments for Tekken 4 and he carried around with him a half inch thick bound printout of every character, every move, their timings (in frames and milliseconds), how they were all countered, and on and on. He memorized it.

I guess it's sort of like dance dance revolution in the memorization aspect. Hm. I just don't get it... games like that for me are only fun if they are mindless button mashing!

#185127 - 17/10/2003 12:39 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: loren]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
thats why i love soul calibur. it just works. sure its got some long combos, but they arent necessary to know to beat people. my favorite combos are with kilik and theyre stuff i threw together that worked well for me.

#185128 - 18/10/2003 21:27 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: BAKup]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
I love that last comment.....

I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead by now

My kid is two years old now and I am building him his first PC, he already knows how to use a mouse and move things around the screen.
Do you think Carmack will have retired before my kiddo starts gaming?

It really does make me feel old.
Probably because I am

#185129 - 18/10/2003 22:20 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: RobotCaleb]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I love SC + SC2 ... We have had a dreamcast (now GameCube) at our office for the past 3 years and play every day ... It just doesn't get old. There's so much depth and strategy to that game. SC2 is a really good refinement on an already great game ... It's just all around better.

ms

#185130 - 18/10/2003 22:58 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Agreed. SC2 is the exception. Many video game media sources claim that it is equal in quality with VF4, but last time I checked that game had those 25 key combos in it. Like Bitt said, that just doesn't work for me.

Like customsex said, those combos exist in SC2, but only if you string normal moves together correctly. In that way, you're choosing the level you play at, not making it a requirement like Bitt pointed out. The longest moves you'll find in that game are about 6 button presses (there are exceptions like a couple of Ivy's moves), but everything works and it's all fun as hell.

For me, the movement that shows me that video games are passing me by (and which many of you older people have no problem with) is online play. Most of the people here love online gaming, even if it's just in the FPS genre. I personally don't see it. Many games seem to be getting a free pass on high marks simply because it has good multiplayer, while many good single player games are getting heavily criticized because they lack that component. I prefer playing solo, and I feel like the games are passing me over because of it. I still can't believe that the next Final Fantasy is going to be multiplayer. Damnit.

#185131 - 19/10/2003 16:15 Re: Get ready to feel old. [Re: loren]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
they spend copious amounts of time figuring out all the best move combos and sharing tips

The trick is, not only do they spend copious amounts of time, but more importantly, copious amounts of money learning how to play. I am ashamed to admit that I can walk into any arcade that has Tekken 1-3 or Killer Instinct and if theirs someone playing, play for two hours with only THEM pumping money into the machine. Let's just say that there were better ways of spending my free time in college, but that was just fun.

I personally love pretty much any pinball game. The only trouble with this is that pinball machines actually took a little care to keep them in running order, so arcades never ever keep them up. Gee, I wonder why no one wants to play either of those two pinball machines over there? Perhaps it's because they only have one full set of working solenoids between them.

Another thing I can't stand is that you go to a "good" arcade and they only have three types of games. Fighters, that stupid fscking dance game, and driving games. They may have 50+ games, but they're all basically the exact same thing with different graphics. Then again I haven't seen a video game parlor that had more than 5 kids in it in years.