Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#189830 - 17/11/2003 22:24 purchasing and moving non-local car?
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I want to buy a car which is 3000+ miles from me and not capable of moving (that far) under its own power. I also don't want to be physically present for its pickup. The title will need to be transferred to another state, and to me.

I've never done anything like this before. I assume I can get a quote from vehicle movers and they should be able to deal with picking it up assuming I let the current owner sign off on the damage inspection when it leaves.

I'm just looking for reassurance; Have any of you done this sort of thing before? Any comments?

#189831 - 18/11/2003 08:23 Re: purchasing and moving non-local car? [Re: Daria]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
My father bought a 1965 Mustang last year from California and had it trucked to NY. He bought it off eBay and didn't see it until it showed up here. I don't really know the specifics, but everything worked out fine.

#189832 - 18/11/2003 20:53 Re: purchasing and moving non-local car? [Re: Daria]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
and not capable of moving (that far) under its own power.

Whether the car can be driven onto and off of the car carrier makes a BIG difference in the cost of transporting it.

Perhaps not so much in your case as in mine, where transporting the non-running vehicle would have involved several transfers on and off of carriers as part of the journey would have involved sea transport. In the end I declined, as the cost of transport was just too high. Had the car been driveable, it would have been feasible.

tanstaafl.

#189833 - 18/11/2003 21:21 Re: purchasing and moving non-local car? [Re: Daria]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Maybe I can help. If you want to PM me where the car is coming from and details as to how poorly it runs, I'll call my transport company. I have a truckload coming from California (can't remember where in CA off the top of my head) sometime in the next 3 weeks. Getting it in with that batch may be possible, and a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring one on your own.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony