Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19064 - 30/09/2000 20:34 Encoding
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Does anybody know of a program like RazorLame that has CDDB.
I like RazorLame but it doesn't have CDDB and I must rename tracks.
I use tfabris's tip on exposing the tracks as .wav's and use RazorLame to encode.

reg#15786-red

#19065 - 01/10/2000 09:23 Re: Encoding [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I use tfabris's tip on exposing the tracks as .wav's and use RazorLame to encode.

If you're starting with plain .WAV files rather than using an integrated ripper program, I don't know of any way to interface with the CDDB. One of the data points that the CDDB uses is the CD's serial number. A pile of .WAV files on the hard disk (or exposed in the filesystem via a special driver) won't have that serial number, hence no way to look up the files in the database.

The reason AudioCatalyst and its ilk can use CDDB is because they have the CD's serial number right there along with the track count and track lengths, and they can do the whole thing in one shot.

Personally, I don't mind typing in the track names. If I'm using LAME, I just run my "Jack" front-end to make it easy to type the names in.

#19066 - 01/10/2000 10:01 Re: Encoding [Re: jwickis]
dmallory
new poster

If you are ripping from CD's, but need to make it a two step process: Rip the CD to a wave, using a CDDB enabled ripper... Write the filenames to include all the tag info you need... Then use tag&rename to write tags from filenames... When you already have waves, I still suggest tag&rename, for bulk tagging abillity.

-Douglas

#19067 - 01/10/2000 15:38 Re: Encoding [Re: dmallory]
jwickis
addict

Thanks for the input, guys. I glossed over the CD serial fact.
I was afraid of that, I get lost when trying to tag(MP3 Tagger is what I use)and have several unnamed tracks and no idea what they are. I've since created folders first then inserted tracks, still I have to rename them all manually.
BTW-Is exposing the wavs on the CD any better than a ripping program?

Another ?, why does a CD have 22khz,11khz,and mono tracks on it?

Thanks.

reg#15786-red

#19068 - 01/10/2000 16:14 Re: Encoding [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Thanks for the input, guys. I glossed over the CD serial fact.
I was afraid of that, I get lost when trying to tag(MP3 Tagger is what I use)and have several unnamed tracks and no idea what they are. I've since created folders first then inserted tracks, still I have to rename them all manually.
BTW-Is exposing the wavs on the CD any better than a ripping program?

Thanks.

reg#15786-red

#19069 - 01/10/2000 22:51 Re: Encoding [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is exposing the wavs on the CD any better than a ripping program?

Exposing the wavs on the CD is a ripping program. It's just got a different way of going about the user interface. Instead of being implemented as a front-end, it's implemented as if it were a device driver, and it tricks Windows Explorer into displaying the tracks as .WAV files.

There are advantages and disadvantages. The biggest disadvantage is that there's no adjustable parameters and you have no recourse if it doesn't work perfectly on your CD-ROM drive.

CDs don't have any tracks like that. The device driver does a trick to make it look like that, but it's really the device driver doing all the downsampling work.