Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#192345 - 08/12/2003 10:53 IE scrolls twice
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I had a strange problem with IE on one of my PCs. When you click on the scroll bar between the thumb and the up or down arrow IE scrolls two screens full rather than one.

It behaves normally when you use the page up/page down/space bar, the double scroll only happens when you use the mouse.

Anyone have any idea what it is up to and how to fix it ?

PS it is IE 6.0 SP1 on Win2k.

#192346 - 08/12/2003 11:12 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: andy]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Found This Article on the problem.

Looks like the Update "Internet Explorer Q824145" is your problem.

- trs

#192347 - 08/12/2003 11:33 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: trs24]
andy
carpal tunnel

Glad it isn't just me, it is driving me mad. I hope they fix it in this month's round of patches.

#192348 - 08/12/2003 13:21 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: andy]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Actually there is a fix out

#192349 - 08/12/2003 16:39 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: mschrag]
andy
carpal tunnel

Sorry, but much as Mozilla has improved over the years it still lags behind IE in a several areas that keep me with IE. Some of them are:

- it is still just a little bit slower than IE (only a bit, but it is noticable on the machines I use much of the time that are PII300 based)
- most websites are designed to look good on IE, meaning that using Mozilla can lead to a slightly quirky user experience at times (a good example is the text box I am typing into at the moment, the text is twice as big when using Mozilla as when I am using IE)
- some bits of Mozilla's UI are still very odd (again this text box is another good example, the caret doesn't site just to the right of the last letter typed, it overlaps the right hand pixels of the last letter typed with a negative effect, very distracting)

I do use Mozilla occasionally, mainly to check websites I am working on to make sure they aren't completely f**cked on anything other than IE. It does seem to get better with every version, but it is not quite there yet for me.

#192350 - 08/12/2003 16:44 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
the text box I am typing into at the moment, the text is twice as big when using Mozilla
For some reason, Mozilla defaults to absurdly large monospaced fonts. Edit->Prefs->Appearance->Fonts->Monospace, set the size to something less, like 12.

#192351 - 08/12/2003 17:20 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: andy]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I must say that even though most websites are designed for IE, it's a rare site I find that doesn't work pretty much the same on Mozilla ... However, that's certainly not a 100% thing. I find that occasionally some javascript functions don't work like the programmers expect them to (usually doing funky things with opening windows -- I think sometimes it's caught by Mozilla's popup blocker).

For all the work they did, it really does seem like IE is faster than Mozilla. I blame XUL for that for the most part. An interpreted javascript browser just isn't the recipe for lightning quickness However, it is really cool that the source is sitting there, so it's pretty easy to add in new features (like I added in opera-style google searching from the url bar "g <searchterm>" to mine).

As far as font sizes, I must have modified my settings, because it looks OK for me size-wise. You're right that the caret position is sort of a funky choice. I'm not sure why they chose that, though the one or two pixel overlap doesn't really bother me (I'm too blind to see it @ 1600x1200 on a 19" monitor anyway).

I stuck with IE for a really long time ... Finally I just tried the switch and I've really been pleased with Mozilla. The main thing keeping me in Mozilla is the amazing multizilla tabbed interface controls ... Everything you ever wanted to do with tabs and more. It totally changed the way I used my browser having them ... Also popup blocking is pretty damn nice, though I guess you can get that w/ the google toolbar (haven't tried it to compare effectiveness).

ms

#192352 - 09/12/2003 09:48 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: mschrag]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

it is really cool that the source is sitting there, so it's pretty easy to add in new features (like I added in opera-style google searching from the url bar "g <searchterm>" to mine).
Probably would have been easier to use bookmark keywords for that.

Both the Google toolbar and Mozilla popup blocking are remarkably effective. I think the Google toolbar is a little better in that you can see when a popup is blocked and it's easier to temporarily disable.

#192353 - 09/12/2003 09:58 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: wfaulk]
mschrag
pooh-bah

snap .. i totally missed that bookmark keywords thread that's fscking awesome ... I've been wondering why they didn't support this. apparently it's because i'm retarded.

#192354 - 09/12/2003 10:02 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: mschrag]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's actually because they can't document for shit.

#192355 - 09/12/2003 10:15 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: wfaulk]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Ah yes, the dark side of open source

#192356 - 09/12/2003 14:24 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I think the Google toolbar is a little better in that you can see when a popup is blocked and it's easier to temporarily disable.

Mozilla Firebird puts an indicator in the status bar when it has blocked a popup, and clicking it allows you to add the site to a "popup whitelist".

I have no use for most of what is in the full blown Mozilla suite, so Firebird is a great alternative. It's also pretty quick, and at times beats IE on my system to doing something. (For example, IE just paused 20 seconds for an unknown reason trying to pull down the URL bar.)

#192357 - 09/12/2003 14:29 Re: IE scrolls twice [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
For example, IE just paused 20 seconds for an inknown reason trting to pull down the URL bar.
Enumerating the list of disk drives, trying to read the autorun icon off of the CD-ROM drive or perhaps getting a network drive letter (that's down at the moment).

God I hate that about IE.