Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#198491 - 14/01/2004 21:04 FLAC tags?
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I saw it somewhere, can't remember exactly what it said tho, and now I can't find it! Aaargh!
Anyways, what 'format' of tags does FLAC normally use? I.e. With the 'tag.exe' program that came with it in the Windows binary..)
So, I'm tryin' to find out what format they are, so I can then find an Active-X/OCX control to read 'em..

[Why? Because I couldn't find a SIMPLE program to convert FLAC to MP3, and CARRY OVER long tags to the ID3v2.x fields! Just... argh. So, I figure, 'Hey! I know enough VB to get by, I have a ID3 ActiveX control, I'll MAKE SOMETHING!. I got to leave work early today because of my Evil Genius laugh.
*AHEM*
Anyways. So after my VFD thingie, I'm going to throw together a real simple VB program that'll, essentially take a lsit of input files, go thru each one, un-flacking them, sending them to MP3, and setting the tags.]

Thanks!
Me.

#198492 - 15/01/2004 05:11 Re: FLAC tags? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The FLAC spec, if I recall correctly, explicitly says that it'll skip over ID3v2 tags if they're present, so that's what I use.

To copy the tags, I just use id3cp, which is a console app that came with id3lib on Debian.

#198493 - 15/01/2004 06:44 Re: FLAC tags? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Flac can also have a VorbisComments block ...

#198494 - 15/01/2004 15:15 Re: FLAC tags? [Re: Roger]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I read that - maybe.. I'm confused.

When I run FLAC, creating a FLAC file from a WAV, using the front end, it runs the 'tag/exe' program, which inserts tags of artist, album, comments, etc.

I read that it does pass over ID3v2, does that mean that those tags are ID3v2? But it also accepts 'Vorbis Comments'. Oookay, just the comments? Where do the Artist, Album, Track No, etc comr from? (Or is 'Vorbis Comments' general term for all those fields?)

Thanks!
Me.

#198495 - 15/01/2004 15:53 Re: FLAC tags? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There are two totally different methods for tagging FLACs. The first was using ID3v2 tags, just as if it was an mp3. The second way is to use the same tagging method used on Ogg Vorbis files. This came about when FLAC was incorporated into the Ogg project. It's unclear if the FLAC has to be Ogg encapsulated in order to use Vorbis comments. My guess is that it does. I'd say that if you have a raw FLAC file, the best comment method to use would be ID3v2, but that doesn't mean that's what your tag.exe program does.

Try opening up the FLAC file in a text editor and see if you can see the title, et al. at the beginning. If you see TIT2 and TALB mixed in there, too, it's ID3v2, otherwise it's probably Vorbis comments.