Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#202958 - 06/02/2004 22:26 'New' competition.
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Just saw this article over at VWvortex. It appears as though Alpine are releasing a head unit that tightly integrates with an iPod. Technical details are sketchy, but it looks like people are finally getting the idea that trying to use a small portable mp3 player whilst driving isn't a great idea.

I wonder whether anyone is working on a Karma equivalent...

#202959 - 06/02/2004 23:13 Re: 'New' competition. [Re: genixia]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That's a lot like the new IceLink from Dension. Though their unit is designed around the SONY interface and uses third party adapters for other brands, including OEM units.

The Alpine is one step beyond because the head unit itself has been designed with this connection in mind. That means specialty controls if needed, as well as proper (one hopes) display of al iPod visual information (track info, etc...)

I doubt we'll start seeing devices like this for units other than the iPod from the big names. I'd love to be wrong, but Apple really does have a commanding presence in portable audio right now.

Bruno

#202960 - 07/02/2004 11:35 Re: 'New' competition. [Re: genixia]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
I wonder whether anyone is working on a Karma equivalent...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a third generation empeg?

/me *winks* at Rob and the rest of the empeg guys.