Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#206531 - 24/02/2004 00:17 WTB: Display
Keredoc
new poster

Foot got snagged on the power cord when I was uploading. My 12Gb MK2A hit the floor. Everything works (all playback functions, remote, etc.)except for the display. Took it apart, and I can't see anything immediately wrong (no broken wires, busted caps etc.). If anyone has a broken unit, I'd love to buy your display. Thank You!

#206532 - 24/02/2004 01:22 Re: WTB: Display [Re: Keredoc]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Have you broken the small glass nipple off the VFD ??? I think it's bottom right, if so see HERE

Not sure if Paul has any left, he sent me one over the new year

Good luck!

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cristian (24/02/2004 01:24)

#206533 - 24/02/2004 05:53 Re: WTB: Display [Re: Cris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Nope. I am still out of VFDs. I received an invoice from Noritake, but no billing against my credit card and no VFDs. That reminds me - I should call him today and check into it...

#206534 - 24/02/2004 08:33 Re: WTB: Display [Re: Keredoc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
One or both of two things happened when it hit the floor:

(1) the hard drive sled jerked forward and CUT one or more of the display cable wires. Look VERY closely to spot this.

(2) the glass nipple broke off the display tube. This nipple is normally located immediately adjacent to the rotary controller (knob) assembly.

Have a look and see which it is. I can sell you a working displayboard in trade for your broken one and suitable cash, once we know which of the two possibilities applies.

EDIT: Ooops.. I recently added button/knob LEDs to my last displayboard here, so I don't have one to swap any more. Can still do the repair just fine, though, as I've done in the past for many others.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (24/02/2004 08:54)

#206535 - 24/02/2004 08:39 Re: WTB: Display [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Random VFD order update:

They did receive the order, shipping date is projected to be the end of March. I have 10 on order, and I intend to hang onto them and resell them on an as needed basis (breakage only). Please, stop dropping your empegs!!!

(Although, talking with the guy from Noritake, he said to keep going - dropping the players. He expects this model VFD to be available for at least three-five more years, based on demand and circuitry.)

#206536 - 24/02/2004 11:21 Re: WTB: Display [Re: pgrzelak]
DeadFire
addict

He expects this model VFD to be available for at least three-five more years...

That's kinda comforting. I used to drop mine all the time. In the car, in the house. But I never damaged it. And since I've purchased my Pelican case, I never drop the empeg, nor the case, even if the empeg is not inside. So hopefully I won't have to call on you.

#206537 - 24/02/2004 16:12 Re: WTB: Display [Re: DeadFire]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
I used to drop mine all the time.

And you knew it was the empeg you were dropping? Yikes! If I had a handful of stuff and the empeg was part of that "stuff", it was always, always the one thing I knew I wouldn't drop. I once had had my palm, phone, sunglasses, and empeg all in the same hand. I dropped the other three mentioned but held on to the empeg. There's no way I'm going to drop that thing. Of course, now that I say that, I'll drop it this afternoon.

#206538 - 24/02/2004 20:51 Re: WTB: Display [Re: mlord]
Keredoc
new poster

First off, I would like to thank all of you for keeping this bbs alive. Thanks to everyone who was able to help me out, looks as if I do have a busted nipple (ouch) off the VFD. mlord, check your messages and again, thanks for everything. Hopefully we'll be back up and running in no time. To think I will have to drive in my car without my MK2! Once you go empeg, you'll never go back!