Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20873 - 21/10/2000 08:42 1999 4x4 4dr Tahoe Install
Austin
new poster

I am installing a cd head unit into the center console and the empeg into the dash. I am looking at linking the cd player to the empeg through the stereo in jacks and using the empeg to control the stereo. My problem is how should I implement a solution for controling the 5th channel on a Sounstream Rubicon 405 for the sub woofer?

--Austin
Mk2 090000848

--Austin
Mk2 090000848

#20874 - 21/10/2000 09:17 Re: 1999 4x4 4dr Tahoe Install [Re: Austin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My problem is how should I implement a solution for controling the 5th channel on a Sounstream Rubicon 405 for the sub woofer?

There's a few ways you can go about it, it's up to you.

Method 1:
(The way most people do it.)
My rear outputs feed both my rear-speaker amplifier and my subwoofer amplifier. I control the ratio of sub-to-rear levels by adjusting the gain control on the subwoofer amp itself. So the subwoofer level isn't independently adjustable while driving. However, I can control the amount of overall bass in the car with either the EQ or the loudness level. It works reasonably well since I have everything crossed over in a complimentary fashion.

Wiring is simple for this, because my subwoofer amp has full-range pass-through plugs. I just chain my rear-speaker amp into those pass-throughs and all is well. A similar solution (if you don't have pass-throughs) would be to Y-split the RCA cables and run it to the two amplifiers. Or you could buy an amp that has a special subwoofer output in addition to the regular speaker outputs (a tri-way amp).

Method 2:
You could hook up the rear outputs to just the subwoofer amplifier. Then the fader controls your subwoofer level. The main speakers are all fed from the front outputs (y-splitting if necessary). However, you lose the ability to fade between your front/rear main speakers if you do this. I have considered switching my setup to this method, because I never change the fader level between the front and rear speakers, it's always fixed in the center. However, fading between front and rear is useful if you suspect a problem and you want to diagnose which of the four channels is causing the problem.

Method 3:
Remote subwoofer level control. You feed the subwoofer from the rear outputs along with the rear speakers, as before. But a remote-mounted knob controls the subwoofer outputs.

There are several different ways you can achieve method 3. Some active crossovers have a remote control for the subwoofer, as do some equalizers. Some subwoofer-capable amps have a remote control option. Or you could just Y-split the output into a stereo line-level potentiometer.