Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209017 - 12/03/2004 01:09 Disk Detector?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm setting up a brand new system, and I've just finished installing the software that came with the Sound Blaster Live! soundcard. One of the things it installed is this thing that runs in the system tray called "Disk Detector."

a) what the hell is it?
b) how the hell do I get rid of it?

I keep right-clicking the icon and trying to click on properties, but nothing at all happens. I also can't seem to find any info on it anywhere online or on the system its self.

ps- does anyone know a good place to buy case badges? I mean, there's tons of places to buy them, but I'd like a good place. I'm looking for nice-quality AMD badges. Preferably someplace with discounts for batch orders.

#209018 - 12/03/2004 01:24 Re: Disk Detector? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Creative Labs = evil

Anyhow, Disc Detector (the c being important here) is a program it runs to see when you put in an Audio CD. Some reason, they didn't tie into the standard autorun part of Windows.

Not sure what OS you are on, but if it's 98, ME, or XP, do a Start - Run - MSCONFIG, and disable it there. 2000, not sure where it sits in startup, so you may have to go registry hunting.

#209019 - 12/03/2004 08:02 Re: Disk Detector? [Re: drakino]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

It's a good idea to clean it out every so often anyway.

#209020 - 12/03/2004 12:53 Re: Disk Detector? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, I unchecked the line in the Services tab (is that what I was supposed to do?) but nothing happened. I had gone into services earlier to try to stop it, but it didn't appear to do anything then either.

#209021 - 12/03/2004 14:22 Re: Disk Detector? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I found a page that talked about how to remove the program. It turns out that there is a service running, but that isn't the program its self, just something I can disable once the program has been stopped. The page gave me "instructions" on how to stop it, but they're simply incorrect! It says to open the "Disc Detector" icon in the control panel which doesn't exist! It also says that the app is controllable through Playcenter, but I couldn't find anything on it in there.