Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#211592 - 30/03/2004 14:08 Car remotes that work with LIRC
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
I am using WinLIRC to control via IR Remote my car PC, but am having trouble getting remotes to work with WinLIRC. Of the 7 or 8 remotes I've managed to try from around the house, only two can actually be learned by WirLIRC. My Pioneer SR90 steering wheel remote is not one of them. At about $40 each, and with this success rate, it is kind of hard to just buy a steering wheel remote with the hope that it will work. Has anyone had experience with a steering whell or stalk-type remote for car use that is compatible with LIRC? Thanks.

#211593 - 30/03/2004 23:31 Re: Car remotes that work with LIRC [Re: jules]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Your problems sound like they may simply be related to your IR receiver, not LIRC and not the source remote. The Kenwood remotes should work with many of the receivers because of its conservative frequency range. BTW, try uICE from Mediatexx. As a front-end to a remote it's a lot friendlier than anything else for Windows. http://www.mediatexx.com

Bruno

#211594 - 31/03/2004 09:34 Re: Car remotes that work with LIRC [Re: hybrid8]
jules

Thanks, especially for the pointer to uICE. Looks very powerfull, will check it out.

#211595 - 31/03/2004 16:01 Re: Car remotes that work with LIRC [Re: jules]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Are you using a homebrew reciever? I had a lot of trouble with one so I got an Ir-man and every remote I've tried with it works a treat.

Andy M

#211596 - 31/03/2004 18:06 Re: Car remotes that work with LIRC [Re: andym]
jules

Thanks. The receiver I use, I got from some guy in Germany. I guess you could call it a "comercialized" home brew. It works reliably with only a few remotes, namely my Rio Car remote and an Ambien DVD remote. Most others it can't handle. I am using WinLIRC. I guess the IRMan is not supported by WinLIRC, so I would have to re-code to interface with it instead. Guess I could do it for the sake of reliability. Do you know of something as reliable as the IRMan that runs off a USB port rather than a serial? I've got a couple of laptops without serial ports...How about something smaller? Thx.