Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223181 - 19/05/2003 09:53 Okay, what about hacking the binary?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My primary complaint about the Rio Receiver, in the current software incarnation, is that it doesn't remember its setttings across a power loss. When I lose power to the receiver, I must do the following:

- Re-apply the Bass and Treble settings.

- Turn on Shuffle and Repeat.

- Select a specific playlist (it's almost always the same playlist).

- Adjust the display contrast (not too critical, sometimes I skip this part).

The "right" thing to do would be to have the player software store its settings on the server. I'm skeptical that this would ever happen though, because to do this, they would have to change the Receiver's player software, the HSX-109's server software, and the PC's server software.

So. If there's no chance of the software getting changed, what about hacking the player binary (and save the hacked binary on the server) so that my favorite settings are the default? I'll bet there's an easy way to at least change the defaults for the bass/treble/contrast, and perhaps even a way to turn on Shuffle and Repeat. People have done similar hacks by using a disassembler on the Car Player binary.

Anyone think this can be done?

(Of course, here I am, without even the slightest clue of where to start. I guess what I'm really saying is... Anyone with the skillz got an urge to do this for me? And by the way, I'm running 1.04...)

Alternative question:

Do any of the third-party players support 1.04 (i.e., the Dell boxes), and can run with the HSX-109 as their server?

#223182 - 19/05/2003 14:17 Re: Okay, what about hacking the binary? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    Do any of the third-party players support 1.04 (i.e., the Dell boxes), and can run with the HSX-109 as their server?
Certainly some of the replacement players can use the original server as their server. Does the HSX-109 implement the same protocol? If so, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work against it as well as the software.

And they definitely work on the Dell units.

I'm thinking of tRio, specifically, although it requires some additional stuff be run on another computer, so it may not meet your requirements, even though it can point at the original server software (in addition to jreceiver).

Edited by wfaulk (19/05/2003 14:19)

#223183 - 19/05/2003 20:04 Re: Okay, what about hacking the binary? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Does the HSX-109 implement the same protocol?

Yup. At least in terms of the way that the PC "Audio Receiver Manager" serves up the player software as an NFS thingy and responds to the HTTP requests to feed files to the player.

although it requires some additional stuff be run on another computer,

Unfortunately, that won't work for me because I leave all my computers off except for the HSX-109. The other computers are too noisy for 100 percent uptime.

What about the other third party players?

#223184 - 19/05/2003 23:25 Re: Okay, what about hacking the binary? [Re: tfabris]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Tony,

Either RRR or RioPlay should work great for you - they both use the "vanilla" protocol.

Cheers
Paul