Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224526 - 02/02/2004 07:55 Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio
markb
new poster

I have been running my 4 Rios on an old PC that did not support WOL. I have been leaving the PC on all the time in a very un-ecologically friendly manner, but used the excuse that it was also hosting my internet connection (dial-up: no broadband yet in deepest Kent) so it didn't matter.
Anyhow, I have been upgrading PCs and have been tinkering with a WOL enabled workstation (the SERVER) that hosts the internet connection, is networked to a couple of other PCs and serves the Rios. If the SERVER is sleeping, it can be woken by another networked PC requesting a web page. I therefore think that WOL is working OK.
However, when the SERVER is the only PC on, it will not go into standby mode (S3, or STR) unless the Rios are switched off: if they are either active or in standby mode, they keep the SERVER awake. If I soft-power them off (so the screen is blank), then the SERVER will sleep, but when they are turned back on again they cannot wake the SERVER.

Under the original ARM setup, the SERVER will only go to sleep if the Rio is in "soft off" mode (i.e. blank screen). However, when the Rio power button is pressed to switch it on, the SERVER wakes up as expected.

Anybody else experienced this? What sounds best to me is for the SERVER to be able to sleep when the Rio is in active (but not playing anything) and standby mode, and be woken up on a change from standby to active.
I think Hugo mentioned that a Rio will not wake a PC on an initial power-up due to MAC address issues.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by markb (02/02/2004 08:16)

#224527 - 03/02/2004 04:48 Re: Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio [Re: markb]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This just sounds like tRio should send WOL packets to its last-known server when coming out of soft-off - this shouldn't be hard to arrange.

Hugo

#224528 - 03/02/2004 08:09 Re: Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio [Re: altman]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
--Edit--
Sorry Hugo ... I see that you've alread answered this on the general board.

--

So when the original client goes into soft-off state, does it just switch off the LCD etc. and go into a long wait until the power key is pressed?

Edited by pauln (03/02/2004 13:11)

#224529 - 04/02/2004 02:15 Re: Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio [Re: pauln]
markb
new poster

Paul/Hugo,

FIrstly, is it then feasible (easy?) to get the receiver to send a WOL message to its last known server when the receiver comes out of stanby mode?

Secondly, is it feasible for tRio to allow the PC to go to sleep in either standy mode, or active (but not playing anything) mode?

Thirdly and most importantly, does anybody else out there care about this feature? Clearly not worth pursuing if it is only me that wants it.

Cheers

Mark

#224530 - 04/02/2004 02:28 Re: Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio [Re: markb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Secondly, is it feasible for tRio to allow the PC to go to sleep in either standy mode

That's a PC software issue -- if you're running on Windows, you need to call SetThreadExecutionState to tell Windows whether or not it can turn off.

#224531 - 04/02/2004 02:32 Re: Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio [Re: Roger]
markb
new poster

Roger,

Is that an application-dependent switch? The PC will sleep just fine if it is "on its own", or indded if it running the original ARM setup and the receiver is in soft-off

Cheers

Mark

#224532 - 04/02/2004 04:33 Re: Waking up PCs (WOL) and tRio [Re: markb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Is that an application-dependent switch?

Well, the intention is that the relevant application call the function, but I guess it doesn't matter: As long as one application has said that it needs the PC turned on, then it'll stay turned on. As long as no applications have said that they need the PC turned on, then it'll turn off (subject to the settings in Control Panel, of course).