Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22844 - 21/11/2000 19:31 mp3s over the web
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
what sort of work is involved in putting my mp3 collection on my website. i have a cable modem, and i already have a page up and running. i managed to get shoutcast and winamp streaming my mp3s over the internet, but what i want to be able to do is pull up a playlist off of my site and be able to navigate through it. with streaming, i can only listen to what i left playing back on my machine. i am at the whim of the random play of winamp when i connect to my stream.

any thoughts on what i need to do to get this working? i tried adding the .m3u file that is linked to on my site, and all the songs load up in the winamp playlist window, but whenever i try to play then, winamp treats each one as a dead file and skips past it. i assume it has something to do with the path of the files in my playlist (the path is to the location on my machine obviously), but even if i change the playlist entry, i cannot get it to work.

am i doomed to listen to just a stream off my machine, or is there some way around this? as always, any help is appreciated.

thanks,
jeremy

12 gig, green...

#22845 - 21/11/2000 19:39 Re: mp3s over the web [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
i tried adding the .m3u file that is linked to on my site, and all the songs load up in the winamp playlist window, but whenever i try to play then, winamp treats each one as a dead file and skips past it.

I ran into this problem when I tried to burn some MP3s and M3Us onto a CD-ROM. I have a guess: You're running Netscape as your browser, right? Try the same thing with IE and it might work. At least that's what happened to me with the CD: If I used Netscape, WinAmp skipped all the files, if I used IE, it worked.

The difference: When IE sends the M3U file to WinAmp, it sets the correct directory so that the "relative path" of the file names is correct. When Netscape sends the M3U file to WinAmp, the directory is whatever the current folder is on the hard disk and it's not set.

One thing you can try to make it work in both browsers is to change the M3U file to have a full absolute path to the files instead of just the file name.

Of course, I hope you're not offering copyrighted music at your web site for the public to download. That would probably get you shut down by your Internet Service Provider, seeing as how that's against the law.

#22846 - 22/11/2000 05:57 Re: mp3s over the web [Re: tfabris]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
You're running Netscape as your browser, right?
nope. IE 5.

Of course, I hope you're not offering copyrighted music at your web site for the public to download. That would probably get you shut down by your Internet Service Provider, seeing as how that's against the law.

but thats not fair. maybe if the record companies didn't charge so much for cds, i wouldn't be forced to do stuff like this. i really don't want to do this, but i have no choice. of course i am just kiding. i signed up for my mp3.com, but that was shut down. i liked the idea so i figured that i could do the same thing, just use my own machine as the server. i just wanted to have a convenient way to be able t acces my mp3s from other places that i might be visiting or working at. also, i just wanted to see if i could do it.

thanks for the info anyway though tony.

jeremy

12 gig, green...