Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#231175 - 19/02/2005 13:51 Re: Cool new Canon D-SLR and lenses [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Changelog:

-- 19-Feb-2005: added EXIF data to my website photo browser

This now shows the shooting info at the bottom of each image. Eg. shutter speed, f-stop, ISO, focal length, speedlight setting, and the model of lens used.

Semi-useful for anyone looking at my pics with an eye on evaluating lens quality and/or versatility etc.

Cheers

#231176 - 19/02/2005 13:57 Re: Cool new Canon D-SLR and lenses [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'd have to see one in person, but the smaller size also sounds nice. There's no need to have enormous SLR bodies when using Digital - with film, a large part of it was about the film plane and cartridge. I really liked the size of the Pentax *istD for example. Sure wish Nikon would release a D200 with a similar size. I'd love to go back to using an SLR. About the only thing i'd miss (that I have with my 5700) is the ability to preview a shot on the rotating LCD before taking it. This lets me put the camera on the ground (or low enough that I can't get my head low enought o the viewfinder) while I look at it from above - or above my head while I look at it from below. Every time I hande a film SLR right now I just long for the crystal-clear non-EVF viewfinder... Ahhh...

Bruno

#231177 - 20/02/2005 03:40 Re: Cool new Canon D-SLR and lenses [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've heard arguments about heavier cameras being easier to handle under some circumstances (i.e., more mass == more inertia == less jiggles), but it's hard to beat a light travel weight.

When I went from my Canon G3 to the Nikon D70, the big change was giving up on the rotating screen. Initially it bummed me out, but then I made up for it with the frame rate. On the G3, pressing the button was a big commitment. It takes several seconds to commit an image (in raw mode) to the memory card. On the D70, it's all nicely buffered so you don't have to worry about it. That means you just hold the camera in whatever position, shoot a few shots, and check to see if you ended up with what you had in mind. This works pretty well for normal lenses, but has proven to be insufficient for my fisheye lens. Every small bit of tilt in the camera can have a radical effect on the final image and you really have to be seeing the final image to get it right.

So far, the Fuji S3 and the Canon 20Da (the "astronomy" version of the 20D with the infrared filter removed) have introduced LCD preview modes, but it's not clear that either would be useful in practice. If you like being eccentric, you can get it today in the Epson R-D1. Presumably, as the D-SLR space gets more crowded, the flip-and-rotate screens will start showing up in more cameras. It's a great feature.

#231178 - 20/02/2005 17:17 Re: Cool new Canon D-SLR and lenses [Re: hybrid8]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
I'd have to see one in person, but the smaller size also sounds nice.

Really? Size was one of the complaints I had about the Rebel when I played with one before deciding on the D70. It was already too small and light to be handled like a "real camera", the ergonomics just weren't quite right (or maybe my hands are too big?). I can't imagine an even smaller camera feeling right to someone used to a film SLR.

-Mike

Edited by mcomb (20/02/2005 17:21)

#231179 - 25/04/2005 22:38 Re: Cool new Canon D-SLR and lenses [Re: mcomb]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I purchased the Canon 350D and I personally like the smaller size. It is definately lighter and easier to manage for me. It cuts down in weight when it comes to lugging it around all day. My only beef with the camera is that the new black body (it comes in gray, as well) has a textured surface that scratches all too easy. Most of the camera stays scratch-free, the due to the smaller size, the area just to the right of the lens tends to get fingernail scratches and such.

All in all, I'm happy with the higher mega-pixel rate, the smaller size, the (greatly increased) boot time, the higher capacity battery, and other goodies that Canon has added.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2