Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#231618 - 26/08/2004 00:59 EAC bug
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I've been using EAC 0.95 prebeta 5 for a while now (it's still the latest one after a few months) and I just discovered a pretty big bug.

If you have it write ID3v2.3.0 tags, it writes them wrong. ID3 tags' text strings are supposed to end in a null character, just like in C. EAC ends up writing the null character at the beginning of the string and not at the end.

The workaround is to tell it to write ID3v2.4.0 tags, oddly. But I have a lot of mistagged mp3s now. It's not going to be a lot of fun fixing them.

#231619 - 26/08/2004 01:46 Re: EAC bug [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
It's never fun to tag, but I've been fixing a lot of files recently and by far the best tag program I've ever used is Dr.Tag. Just registered it this week. Unfortunately I don't think I can even give away my registration for another tag program, Tag&Rename. Which unless it's improved by an order of magnitude over the past year, just doesn't cut the mustard.

I find Dr.Tag the best for working on multiple albums at the same time. As long as everything you want to edit falls under a folder heirarchy (ie. you can only select items from a single folder or all its sub-folders.)

BTW, I still haven't gotten a decent reply about an EAC question I have... Can you do the following:

Rip to WAV and later come back and batch-encode those WAVs with correct ID3 data?

I use Audiograbber and preferf it to all others because it will save all ID3 data into a WAV header which it can parse back out when you go batch encode any time in the future. this then gets passed to LAME on the command line and you're left with perfect tags. The earlier copies of EAC I tried didn't even have any tagging support at all.

Bruno

#231620 - 26/08/2004 01:56 Re: EAC bug [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Unless it can manipulate data on a byte-by-byte basis, it's probably not gonna work. I'm gonna have to write a program.

#231621 - 26/08/2004 22:17 Re: EAC bug [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Try it. It has a nice Search and Replace function that might just be able to take a null character as input...

Bruno

#231622 - 07/09/2004 03:37 Re: EAC bug [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, it would appear that EAC is not at fault here, but the program I'm using to read the ID3 tags.

Apologies to EAC.