Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#233671 - 16/09/2004 22:06 Odd power behavior in car
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
For a while now, my empeg has been behaving oddly in the car. The main problem is that very often when I start the car, the empeg will boot up properly, but then go to "sleep" mode (screen off plus blinking LED) as soon as it's done initializing. Pressing a button always wakes it up. It does not always do this, but it does very often. It's hard to reproduce. If I have it playing, turn off the car, and wait for the empeg to turn off completely, the vast majority of the time it comes back on properly, without going to "sleep". But I have seen it do the wrong thing at least once during this sort of testing. Oddly, if I leave it in the car and go do my errand (I know -- let's not go off on that tangent), 99% of the time, it does do the wrong thing.

Initially, I was assuming that it was turning on in the car when it shouldn't and that was putting it in "sleep" mode so that when it came back on properly, it started in "sleep" mode. This makes a lot of sense, really, since I have an IR Translate power-on macro that turns the player off when booted up in AC mode, and if the AC socket was twitchy, it could easily do this. However, I've watched it start up in sleep mode when the last mode it was in was definitely "awake". It's also not thinking that it's in AC mode, as I've checked to make sure the DC-only options are there, plus the power-on macro takes about half a second to activate, during which I can see the player app running, and I do not ever see the player app when it does the "sleep"-on-start thing in-car.

Also, I've swapped my empeg out with my backup, and it does the same thing, so I don't think that it's an internal empeg problem. It started happening when I upgraded Hijack at some point (which version I don't remember), but I think that was coincidence, although I haven't actually tried revving down. I'm inclined to say that it's a wiring problem in the dash, especially since I was unhappy with the job of the person that installed it to begin with, but I'm not sure what that problem could be. I'd say that maybe the accessory line isn't connected well, so that when I start the car, it turns the empeg on, but then seems to be off by the time it gets started, but I've never seen the empeg fail to turn on at all, and a line that's intemittent in only one way seems unlikely.

I have also, on rare occaasion, seen the empeg start up without turning the car on, though this definitely isn't the cause of the problem I just described, as, again, I've definitely seen that problem without the empeg starting up on its own. I've not had the backup in place long enough to determine if it also does this. So this problem could be related or not.

So, anyone have any ideas?

#233672 - 16/09/2004 22:49 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
In the last few weeks I've noticed a couple misses shutdown events. Two of them were yesterday one right after the other, so things may be getting more reproducible. I turn off the car, and my empeg just keeps play. Turning the key to accessory and back always turns it off. I don't know what's causing it, but it seems to be a similar problem.

Matthew

#233673 - 16/09/2004 23:22 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hmm. Mine never does that. It always shuts down when I tell it to, and always starts up when I tell it to.

#233674 - 16/09/2004 23:26 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Does it have a tuner module? Investigate the possibility of stray stalk commands. Use the hijack command in config.ini to disable the stalk and see if you can reproduce the bug. Also investigate the possibility of twitchy IR sensor (the missed interrupts thing).

#233675 - 16/09/2004 23:29 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I do have a tuner module. I'll check that out. GIven that it happens on two different units, I don't think it's a bad IR sensor, tho.

#233676 - 19/09/2004 02:06 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Nope. It was already set to "Don't have a stalk".

Anyone else have any notions? Or any debugging technique suggestions?

#233677 - 19/09/2004 02:15 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
For a while now, my empeg has been behaving oddly in the car. The main problem is that very often when I start the car, the empeg will boot up properly, but then go to "sleep" mode (screen off plus blinking LED) as soon as it's done initializing. Pressing a button always wakes it up. It does not always do this, but it does very often. It's hard to reproduce. If I have it playing, turn off the car, and wait for the empeg to turn off completely, the vast majority of the time it comes back on properly, without going to "sleep". But I have seen it do the wrong thing at least once during this sort of testing. Oddly, if I leave it in the car and go do my errand (I know -- let's not go off on that tangent), 99% of the time, it does do the wrong thing.

It's been happening to me. If it is a hijack issue, it's not obviously so; I don't think I'd upgraded hijack when it started happening. I haven't figured it out yet, though.

#233678 - 19/09/2004 03:15 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: Daria]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I see this happen a lot but I always assume that I put the player into Standby before leaving the car and forgot that I did.

#233679 - 19/09/2004 03:26 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I virtually never put the player into standby in the car, so that's not it.

#233680 - 19/09/2004 16:47 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Nope. It was already set to "Don't have a stalk".

That's a separate setting from the [Hijack] section setting of stalk_enabled=0. Others have had similar problems, and setting the player properties to "Don't have a stalk" didn't make a difference, whereas "[Hijack] stalk_enabled=0" did solve their problems. It's covered in this FAQ entry which was based on the information in this thread.

So, um, try that and see if that fixes it...

#233681 - 20/09/2004 02:07 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You're right. I forgot about that. I'll give it a shot.

#233682 - 20/09/2004 08:52 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Mine also does this quite regularly and I never put it in standby. I do have a tuner also. I believe it started happening around the time v3a5 came out.

Currently using v3a8 it happens about 1 in 4 times for me.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#233683 - 22/09/2004 02:00 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Nope. "stalk_enabled=0" didn't solve it. I kinda thought it wouldn't, as I never saw any other weird behavior. The only thing that goes wrong is that sometimes the player is asleep on startup. Occasionally, it'll reawaken at a later ignition time (never just driving around, though) even if I didn't awaken it by hand before. This indicates to me that it's not remembering a state, but that there's something wrong at each individual boot.

Is it possible that too-low voltage somewhere could cause the player to sleep on boot? Like maybe there's enough power to turn the player on, but by the time it gets the player app running it's too low? Could someone out there (whose player works properly) try turning their ignition on, wait for the empeg to start booting, then cut it off again before the player app starts and see what happens? If it goes to sleep, I'll check the voltage on my ignition line.

#233684 - 22/09/2004 02:27 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Quote:
Could someone out there (whose player works properly) try turning their ignition on, wait for the empeg to start booting, then cut it off again before the player app starts and see what happens? If it goes to sleep, I'll check the voltage on my ignition line.

I do know that on my player which seems to have the same affliction as yours, that if I turn the ignition off while the empeg is booting it will continue to play and doesn't seem to detect the ignition line has gone low. It's as if the ignition low sense is edge triggered (falling from high to low) rather than simply level triggered (read as low).

#233685 - 22/09/2004 11:08 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen this happen occasionally. Not enough to be sure when it started though.

Running v3a8 on hijack v401.

#233686 - 23/09/2004 20:12 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
gmaguire
new poster

Loc: Ireland
Yip,

I have exactly the same "feature", there doesn't seem to be an exact pattern except it does happen 75% of the time. One thing I find is that the volume is always reset to zero, ie i just turn up volume to activate the empeg.

Ger.

#233687 - 23/09/2004 20:22 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: gmaguire]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I've seen this a few times too, and volume being at 0 is what has been throwing me off.

#233688 - 23/09/2004 20:23 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: gmaguire]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

OT, gmaguire is another member of the WRX/empeg club! My friend Nate finally installed his Rio in his WRX this weekend as well..

#233689 - 23/09/2004 20:39 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: gmaguire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If the volume is reset to 0, then odds are it's losing the flash memory setting. Does it also reset its position in the playlist and forget things like the balance and dimmer settings?

#233690 - 23/09/2004 23:44 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

While I have no problem with helping someone else in this thread, I'll just point out that my volume does not reset, nor do any other settings.

#233691 - 24/09/2004 00:14 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Quote:
While I have no problem with helping someone else in this thread, I'll just point out that my volume does not reset, nor do any other settings.

I agree Bitt.

I am the same and I don't think that's our problem. Let's try and stay focussed on the main problem. The volume resetting can be all sorts of things like a dodgy power switch etc.

#233692 - 24/09/2004 05:33 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
gmaguire
new poster

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
OT, gmaguire is another member of the WRX/empeg club! My friend Nate finally installed his Rio in his WRX this weekend as well..

aaghh . so its the g forces from the scoobie thats causing the issue, oh well, just have to live with it then !!

#233693 - 27/09/2004 11:03 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Yay - welcome gmaguire! I'm doing my best to persuade 2 others (I got them both to buy Scoobies, now just working on the empeg half of the deal )

Oh, and mine never does this. And believe me, I do test its G-rating extensively!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#233694 - 05/10/2004 01:00 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
I noticed this recently also. I'm using Hijack 411, version 2.0final,Tuner.Volume also rest to 0,and different playlist position. Emphatic is installed but not running at bootup.Will have to check balance and dimmer settings.

#233695 - 05/10/2004 02:08 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

You know...my mind is starting to drift around some theories about this. Nothing but speculation at this point...

Every time the empeg starts up, it selects a new area of flash to save it's settings in. This is done to prevent the flash from wearing out. This is done by the kernel.

When the empeg notices a power fail, it goes through several events, one of which is that the data is saved to the pre-selected flash area, hopefully before the capacitor drains and the power fails totally. All of this is also done by the kernel. What is interesting is that in early hardware (pre- 'issue9' ) the kernel used to shut down the display first to conserve power, but in later evolutions the display uses a PIC which requires a relatively slow command to shut it down - hence the display is not shut off until after the flash has been saved. Presumably a screen with a lot of lit pixels requires more energy than a screen with few lit pixels.

I'm theorizing that this problem, and the occasional playlist forgetfulness problem, may both be symptoms of the same issue - the player running out of power before the whole flash area is written. I'm not honestly sure what happens at the next boot if that happens. I presume it reverts to the previously used block.

Now, IIRC, there is a kernel (compile time) debug option that will print "The quick brown fox..." on the serial port as soon as powerfail is detected, so that you can see how long the power lasts. I wonder whether it is worth enabling this and testing to see if this a problem.

Assuming that I am on the right track, why are we seeing this now? Perhaps a recent kernel change has exacerbated the issue. I can't recollect anything that would do that but it can't be ruled out yet. Another thought is that maybe the capacitors (in the PSU section) have degraded such that their capacitance is not as high as when the empeg guys tested it. The temperatues involved aren't considered particularly high though (high temperatures accelerate electrolyte loss.)

#233696 - 05/10/2004 02:41 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: genixia]
Shonky
pooh-bah

I'm not sure you're on the right track there genixia.

The playlist forgetfulness seems to be solved with v3a8 for me - it never forgets now. Occasionally it does seem to forget it's position in the song and just goes back to 0:00 though. I believe I remember this happening very occasionally back with v2.

I'm 99% certain it's v3 thing and possibly v3a7 or v3a8 to be specific.

Occasionally I have been noticing my tuner disappear too. I don't use it much so I'm not sure how often if happens. If I simply reboot via Hijack (i.e. not removing and reinserting which would suggest faulty contacts) the tuner usually comes back. I'm not sure the two are related, but I'll check from now on.

If it was a time to shutdown thing, why would it happen in the car? Surely when the ACC line goes low, it could still save things in time since it can run of the BATT line indefinitely. It's only after the shutdown delay that the unit itself decides to completely turn off.

#233697 - 05/10/2004 02:55 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: Shonky]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Not a v3 thing. I haven't even installed a v3 yet, much less have it actively running.

#233698 - 05/10/2004 02:57 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

The playlists not being saved I only had with v3. The player thinking it's in standby, unsure.

#233699 - 05/10/2004 02:58 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Nor does mine. Sounds like 2 problems being conflated. Bah.

#233700 - 05/10/2004 03:00 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Quote:
Not a v3 thing. I haven't even installed a v3 yet, much less have it actively running.

Fair enough. I would say mine has slowly been getting worse if anything, so it could point to hardware issues.

It does seem to remember everything else though (playlist, fader etc). It just doesn't seem to remember standby vs playing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >