Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236655 - 05/10/2004 21:13 New Toy For Me!!
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
So I finally got tired of lugging 2 big heavy (required) dictionaries to Japanese class. So I did a little overseas shopping for some itty-bitty geekiness. And today (a mere three days after paying the shop in Osaka) the postman came bearing gifts!

SUPER TINY!!!

If only it was Indiglo instead of Greendiglo. But I'm not complaining! It has 6 dictionaries in ROM, and 27 on the memory stick. If I want, I can get other memory sticks for it with things like the Encyclopedia Nipponica, specialized dictionaries (such as medical, legal, etc.) or whatever. I tried EDICT on my Palm, but this, quite simply put, kicks its ass.

Plus, my Japanese teacher said "If you get that, you can leave your dictionaries at home, and I can be jealous!"

#236656 - 05/10/2004 23:43 Re: New Toy For Me!! [Re: webroach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Niiiice, but does it have Japanese ID3 support?

#236657 - 06/10/2004 00:14 Re: New Toy For Me!! [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Niiiice, but does it have Japanese ID3 support?

No, but I'm patiently waiting.

#236658 - 06/10/2004 03:39 Re: New Toy For Me!! [Re: webroach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Ooo! That would have been nice when I was taking Japanese. I'm very impressed with anyone who can stick with it, by the way, so good for you. After five years I couldn't carry a decent conversation, so I decided it wasn't really sticking. Oh well. I like the country, at least. Er...welll...not Tokyo.

#236659 - 06/10/2004 03:57 Re: New Toy For Me!! [Re: Dignan]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Ooo! That would have been nice when I was taking Japanese. I'm very impressed with anyone who can stick with it, by the way, so good for you.

Thank you very much! I try, and sometimes I even succeed a little.

Quote:
Oh well. I like the country, at least. Er...welll...not Tokyo.

Heh. People either love Tokyo or hate Tokyo. Some people love Kyoto (which Mrs. Webroach refers to as "The anagram lover's Tokyo". Not sure where she got that...). Some people like the countryside. Me, I love it all. I have to admit, though, I'm more an Akihabara kinda guy. You can't argue with that kind of gadget density.

#236660 - 06/10/2004 14:39 Re: New Toy For Me!! [Re: webroach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Oh, of course! Akihabara is great, but I can't stand the enormous city with too many people. I tend to not like large cities in general, and this is like the king of large cities (or maybe the prince - isn't Mexico city physically larger?). Anyway, Kyoto is in fact my favorite place in Japan, and has what is probably my favorite tourist attraction in the world, the Kinkakujin. Very beautiful.

#236661 - 06/10/2004 23:28 Re: New Toy For Me!! [Re: webroach]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Sheesh, and all I got in Osaka on Tuesday was a Hello Kitty doll and silk pencil case...gotta love flight layovers...

Very cool toy btw & also kudos from me for learning Japanese. I should try to learn some Chinese, but I had a hard time learning Spanish, so I don't think I'd do too well.

-Zeke