Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238693 - 23/10/2004 13:28 OQO
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
Well after 2 year of waiting the OQO is finally here (well here in the US for now).

Most of the reviews have loved the design, but panned it due to the high cost compared to a PDA and small form factor compared to a laptop. Personally I think they are missing the point. It's not a laptop or a PDA it's between the two, some people are calling them handtops www.handtops.com

Also the price is what I expect for a first release. I know that I paid a LOT of $$$ for my first Empeg, but it was worth it and I wanted to be an early adopter.

My OQO is on order, I'll post a review when I get it!

#238694 - 23/10/2004 13:50 Re: OQO [Re: jwtadmin]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
A 21st century device, right there. A single source for all your information that can be used anywhere. No more synchronizing between office computer, PDA, home office computer, remote sites, laptop, etc.

All this needs now is to hook up with Groove Virtual Office for complete 21st century mobile productivity. Groove lets users of even minimal technical ability create a "shared space" containing tools such as file sharing, calendars, discussion, project management, document revision, and chat. The space exists over peer-to-peer networking with the other co-workers who have connected and maintains in constant synchronization.

OQO lets you bring your one computer with you, Groove lets you bring your one workspace with you. If only people would adopt it.

#238695 - 23/10/2004 14:39 Re: OQO [Re: FireFox31]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Quote:
All this needs now is to hook up with Groove Virtual Office

All it needs now is to last more than 8 hours heavy use between charges, to have a touch screen and handwriting recognition, interface with a wireless keyboard and be 5mm thick (at least, that is what it needs if it wants me to buy it).

Looks like one piece of kit I won't be early-adopting

Mmm padd
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#238696 - 23/10/2004 18:28 Re: OQO [Re: mdavey]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
Actually it does have a touch screen, a wacom digitizer, it will do handwriting recognition, and it has Bluetooth so it will interface with a wireless keyboard.

The battery life is comparable to a high end PDA or a laptop.

At 22mm it is still pretty thin yet large enough to hold comfortably

#238697 - 23/10/2004 19:23 Re: OQO [Re: jwtadmin]

I really like OQOs slick and simplistic design, it's a pitty it has 802.11b and not g or b/g though.
A very cool feature of this little beast:
Active hard drive protection that safely parks hard drive heads upon detecting freefall.

#238698 - 23/10/2004 23:21 Re: OQO [Re: jwtadmin]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think is looks pretty good it would have been a good replacement for my U101 if it had ethernet and a PCMCIA slot.

People keep ripping on it because they say the specs are outdated but I think it's good enough. It's not like you're going to play doom 3 on it or something.

Matt