Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23874 - 25/12/2000 00:35 Rotary knob click broken?
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I got a MkII not too long ago and I've had a problem from Day One with the rotary knob. If I ``click'' it so as to enter the menus or whatever, it, 99% of the time, first sends a rotate signal before it sends a click signal, which means I select the wrong menu item, or it changes volume instead of going to menu, or whatever. Is this problem specific to me or have other folks seen this?

I've searched on the BBS for folks reporting the same problem, but I haven't found any. Sorry if it's come up before.

#23875 - 25/12/2000 01:03 Re: Rotary knob click broken? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I do seem to remember this being reported elsewhere on the BBS once, although I think it was less frequent for them than it was for you. I got the impression that it was very intermittent for them.

My Mark 2 does seem to have this same problem occasionally, only in my case, the extra "rotate" command seems to happen after the click command, so it's not a large problem (i.e., I don't end up selecting the wrong menu item).

Just out of curiosity, are you running the 1.01 software version? Perhaps it's something that's been corrected in the software.

Since you seem to have it happening very frequently (and hardly anyone else has reported it), you should e-mail [email protected] and see if they can resolve the problem for you. Note that they are probably on Christmas holiday right now (check the Announcements section of this BBS for the dates they're taking off), but they get to you as soon as they can after returning. edit: I just checked the Announcements forum and the message I thought was there, isn't. Now I don't remember where Rob posted their holiday dates. Oh well.

Until a solution is found for you, the temporary work-around is to use the bottom button on the front panel instead of the knob button. I think they do pretty much the same thing in most cases.

Edited by tfabris on 25/12/00 08:08 AM.

#23876 - 25/12/2000 01:19 Re: Rotary knob click broken? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah, it happens a lot. Even if I try to hold the knob steady while pushing it (which is something that I certainly could not do while driving), I cannot get it to work properly.

I'll try upgrading the software when I get back from my in-laws :sigh: and see if that solves the problem, but I think that it's going to end up being a hardware issue.

I've already trained myself to not use the knob for anything except volume control. (Actually, I never trained myself to use it at all -- it's never worked. )

Anyway, thanks for replying here early on Christmas Day.

#23877 - 25/12/2000 04:30 Re: Rotary knob click broken? [Re: wfaulk]
Janosch
journeyman

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Hello,

i bought my MK II about a month ago and i have the same problem. I have to be really carefully when using the rotary knob, if not a rotarty signal is send before pushing it. Mostly a rotary signal to the left is send. The first days i really had to "learn" how to use it. At the moment i'am using the remote control because i'am tired of this effect, but once my unit gets build in my car a working, easy to use, rotary knob would be helpful. So i'am really interrested in possible solutions.

Best regards

still happy Empeg Owner

Janosch

#23878 - 25/12/2000 06:14 Re: Rotary knob click broken? [Re: Janosch]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This is an actual fault in the design of the rotary controller (ie, rather out of our hands); some are worse than others. I'd actually forgotten about this, but it might be possible to fix this in software for 1.1 by looking for the two events close together and ignoring the rotation.

Hugo

#23879 - 25/12/2000 12:23 Re: Rotary knob click broken? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
My Mark 2 does seem to have this same problem occasionally

Okay, Tony, I definitely missed something here....

You got a Mark 2? When the hell did that happen?

DiGNAN

#23880 - 25/12/2000 16:29 Re: Rotary knob click broken? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I mentioned in another forum recently (I think maybe it was in Wish List). I thought everyone would have caught that.