Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#239165 - 27/10/2004 14:02 PC/software inventory tracking?
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
So, I've been put in charge of keeping track of all the software amd hardware at my current company. I'm happy to take that task on, but I have a feeling there has to be a great piece of software out there that'll help me keep track of things. Our budget is very small if non-existant, so I'm not looking for any enterprise-level barcode using mega system. I just need something that'll let me enter in all of our hardware and software in inventory and keep track if checking in/out items and issues those items might have.

So, does anyone here have a recommendation on what I should use? I figured there are enough sysadmins on this board that someone would be ale to point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#239166 - 27/10/2004 14:08 Re: PC/software inventory tracking? [Re: trs24]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Honestly, this is such a simple problem that you can probably design an access database to do this quicker than implementing anything off the shelf. I wrote an app for our company in about half a day, but I could just have easly used the data entry forms in access, I think.

I just set up a table of users, a table of products, and a history table to associate the two. In the table of products I kept track of things like software keys and license numbers, as well as whether it was currently checked out and to whom. The history table showed me who had checked something out/in in the past in case it was abused somehow.

#239167 - 27/10/2004 14:51 Re: PC/software inventory tracking? [Re: JeffS]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yeah, creatign an access db to handle tracking would be easy enough, and it is something I've considered. I would like, however, the ability to track helpdesk type issues that are related to inventory or not. This would make the access option not very feasable in terms of implementation time. It is a good idea, though, if helpdesk issues aren't really important. Thanks.