Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242492 - 24/11/2004 06:07 Best....concert....ever!
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Wow. Just got back home with SWMBO after seeing Skinny Puppy downtown. I've seen them many times before, but this was her first time. She loved it!

I have to say, I was a bit hesitant to go after the stuff that's happened to the band in recent years, but... wow.

AMAZING show.

#242493 - 24/11/2004 16:10 Re: Best....concert....ever! [Re: webroach]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
i missed the Skinny Puppy show that was here, but i did catch The Crüxshadows recently. if you get the chance, GO.
awesome live show.

#242494 - 24/11/2004 17:54 Re: Best....concert....ever! [Re: RobotCaleb]
webroach
old hand

Great pics!

If they come through (and I find out about it before the show) I'd definitely go. I'm actually a fairly big fan of The Crüxshadows. I'm just glad my girl got to finally see Puppy live. After Dwayne died, we weren't too sure they would A) tour again or B) be worth seeing live.

Glad to see we were wrong on both counts.

#242495 - 24/11/2004 18:27 Re: Best....concert....ever! [Re: webroach]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I was lucky enough to catch both of the Skinny Puppy shows here in Detroit. I saw them back in 91 and had been waiting for them to return ever since. The show was top notch. Not quite as theatrical as the Last Rights tour, but pretty good.

I thought the on-stage decapitating was in poor taste. While Skinny Puppy didn't put on as much of an anti-Bush show as the current Ministry tour making its rounds (worth missing IMO) this bit of stage work was uncalled for. In Skinny Puppy's defense though, wether it's animal rights or politics, their aim has always been to "shock". They don't mean for anyone to look at corpses on the videos and think "cool." They WANT you to be disgusted.

That said, maybe I'm just getting old then. I couldn't bring myself to dance to that kind of video display like I could back in 1991. Being 29 instead of 16 might have something to do with it.

I still liked the show however. I had been waiting so damned long to see them, and it was worth it. Rumor is that they are touring with Tool next year.

It's funny too how some bands preach about capitolism being so "evil" in interviews but then they turn around and try to sell you all sorts of carp at their merchandise booth.

#242496 - 24/11/2004 19:24 Re: Best....concert....ever! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Skinny Puppy: The 21st century's industrial fishmonger!

#242497 - 24/11/2004 21:40 Re: Best....concert....ever! [Re: wfaulk]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Skinny Puppy: The 21st century's industrial fishmonger!

I caught that too.

Figured that while I was ignoring the Bush comments, I'd just stick with the theme and not say anything at all. We need at least one thread that has nothing to do with politics.

#242498 - 25/11/2004 06:18 Re: Best....concert....ever! [Re: webroach]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
I've never heard of Skinny Puppy.

However, I went to see Glen Tilbrook and the Fluffers at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham on Tuesday night. What a great gig. The venue is really small so it was all up close and personal. He played all the well known Squeeze tunes and came into the audience with the rest of the band for a singalong. Even going behind the bar when I was being served and standing right in front of me for a couple of songs. Superb!

And what a great voice he's still got.

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons