Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#243518 - 09/12/2004 23:45 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: shawn]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Excellent link. I was looking at the Linkstation a few weeks ago but didn't like the price. i only wanted it as a portable drive. Running slimserver on it is a great idea and makes for a really killer music stream when combined with a Squeezebox or Roku Sound Stick.

Bruno

#243519 - 10/12/2004 01:52 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Quote:
Either way, assuming I could find a suitable case (one that doesn't have neon or anything, and has the right venting to run this thing fanless), I'm kind of leaning towards a EPIA solution right now.

I would back you up on this inclination; I'm running a VIA EPIA M 10000 in a Morex 3677 black case for my firewall (SmoothWall). The motherboard still has a fan on board since I haven't yet felt the need to replace it with a Zalman Silent Northbridge Cooler (as I've done on my gaming machine since its chipset fan decided to die slowly, horribly and with the most irritating amount of noise possible).

Of course, this case is probably a bit small for what you want; you might need to go for something a bit larger, like the Morex 2699 in Anonymous Beige or Stealth Black. A word of caution, though - I found I had to put a 2200uf capacitor across the input leads of the power supply (inside the box) to provide enough start current for the board to start up. But since this power supply is more than capable of powering the board and two drives (a standard full-height CD and a 3.5" drive, when I was initially installing SmoothWall) and is completely silent, I think it's just the ticket.

I look on the extra features of the VIA boards - the video out, the gobs of spare processing power - as just futureproofing. It's much better to get something like this that's relatively new and have it last for years, than to continually have to scrounge parts for your ageing 286 because you need another ISA card for more drives. Anyway, it's up to you, of course.

Hope this helps and that parts are available,

Paul

#243520 - 10/12/2004 02:37 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: TigerJimmy]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
Find somebody you know who has an old Pentium 133 laying around

I myself just happen to have an old Pentium 133 lying around. Problem is, it's attached to a motherboard which is rather large, which is in turn attached to a case which is rather large. The whole assembly tends to make a lot of noise, and in my mind, noise=power draw. Even if it's not drawing a lot of power, it's still too noisy and big for my tastes.

#243521 - 10/12/2004 02:40 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: shawn]
adavidw
addict

Quote:
Get a Kurobox

I've just barely come across the KuroBox in my research, and it is indeed cool. The one part where it doesn't work for me is that it only holds one drive. However, that's still one more than the NSLU2 holds. So, even if I put one in it and one via USB2, that's still less duct tape than the NSLU2 needs.

#243522 - 10/12/2004 04:58 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
Yeah, it only holds one drive, so that may be a problem for 400GB. Some people are working on a Gentoo or Debian installation from scratch. So far, I've just been running it from my chrooted Debian install (kinda like my Empeg). I can't add kernel modules yet (so no CDROM access for ripping) but it serves most of my purposes (DHCP, NTP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, SNMP, SMB, LPR -- any other acronyms??) out the box with Debian and apt-get. Plus, it has double the memory and a more powerful processor than the NSLU2. Its a little more expensive, like you said, it already holds the HD, so one less box to hassle with.

Checkout the gmane group which mirrors a Yahoo group for much more info.

#243523 - 10/12/2004 09:00 Re: How best to do whole house music? KuroBox [Re: shawn]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Quote:

• budget - $160 for Kurobox, ~$250 for Linkstation with 120GB

• Also, they seem to have the Empeg design philosophy - put lots of pads on the board for things that we have no intention of fitting but others may. For instance, it has one USB port, but there are pads for another one at the front. I wonder if a second Ethernet port could be hacked?

The IDE is interesting. I wonder what happens if the IDE and drive power cables are replaced with ones that have two drive connectors - does the OS correctly handle master & slave (I can't see why not)? There is only enough space in the box for one drive, though - so a new box would be needed. Pity that either a case mod or bare board isn't available.
    Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#243524 - 10/12/2004 18:54 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
    TigerJimmy
    old hand

Well, fair enough. That old Dell 133 I have is very quiet and is in a mini-tower form factor. Holds two disks easily, 4 if you convert 5.25 bays to 3.5. The old P133s don't have a CPU heatsink, so the noise is coming from the PSU, most likey. If you can find an old machine that is small enough for you, you could always spend $40 or so on a very quiet PSU. Check out silentpc.com for some options.

Just my $.02.

J

#243525 - 11/12/2004 21:09 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: TigerJimmy]
    adavidw
    addict

Quote:
    Check out silentpc.com for some options.

Hmm. That doesn't seem to be the kind of website I want (it's some consulting/venture capital firm or something). Any other website recommendations? I've got silentpcreview.com and mini-itx.com and things like that. Any others worth reading on a regular basis for someone trying to get into this stuff?

#243526 - 11/12/2004 22:17 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
    mdavey
    enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
    Quote:
    Any other website recommendations?

Try these:

http://quietpc.co.uk/
    http://silent.se/
    Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#243527 - 12/12/2004 03:23 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
    TigerJimmy
    old hand

Hmmm. I'll try to find that URL... Sorry, that was off the cuff.

Jim

Well, it's been a while since I've looked at those sites, and they've changed. I think silentpcreview.com was the one I was thinking of. I think I may have been thinking of this article, which is now rather old.

It seems to me that Mark Lord's new network server (the one in the tin cookie box) is fanless and silent as well. I don't remember the details of that machine.

You can put your 3.5" IDE drives in acoustic enclosures ( this place sells them) that reduce their noise. That, combined with something like mlord's machine might be the ticket.

I have the music server in a closet with my network server/firewall machine, so I don't really care about the noise. What I want to do (time and $$$ permitting) is to make a completely silent cookie-tin like computer with a flash drive and wireless that just NFS mounts the music partition from the server in the other room. The other alternative is to buy a squeezebox and install that server software on my existing machine.

I've been using mp3blaster as my linux console mp3player. I wanted a console player so I didn't need a big machine running X and a mouse, etc, etc. This player has some really cool functions, in my opinion (shuffle groups, for instance). You can make mp3blaster work with lirc (linux infrared remote control), so that you can control it with a standard remote (or even the empeg remote, I suppose). I haven't done that, but if/when I make the silent little flash-drive player machine, I will probably get that working.

I really think that linux with software raid and Samba is the answer, at least for the server side. You can use the server as the player, if it is quiet enough, or use a variety of different players, from Windoze machines with Winamp, to squeezeboxes, or other linux client-only player machines.

Jim

Edited by TigerJimmy (12/12/2004 03:45)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2