Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244629 - 23/12/2004 16:33 Best Hard Drive For Empeg MK2?
Gallagher419
journeyman

I have been searching the forums on this subject only to be confused. What I would like to know is which hard drive is the best one to get for an Empeg MK2 and where can I find one? I have looked in Best Buy, Circuit City and Compusa and they do not seem to have notebook hard drives. I should also add that the Empeg I am getting is 10GB and I would like to expand to at the very least 80GB. Thanks all!

#244630 - 23/12/2004 17:19 Re: Best Hard Drive For Empeg MK2? [Re: Gallagher419]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
A suggestion is "slower is better" because it generates less heat. So, skip the 7200 RPM drives and stick wtih 5400 RPM or 4200 RPM.

Also, Hitachi/IBM and (I think) Segate are recommended drives for the player because they came with it initially. You may want to have both hard drives be from the same manufacturer though.

Height is also an issue. You can read all about that, and more issues, in the Disk Upgrade Guide. Make sure you are comfortable with the process in that guide before doing the upgrade.

I purchased a Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 80gig 4200RPM drive (9.5mm) and it's worked great. Skip the retail stores and save time by buying online. Here's a list of notebook HDDs in a recommended brand that should work, from an online retailer that I've trusted for years. Lucky you, the price for a 4200 RPM 80 gig is *half* what I paid a year and a half ago.

Good luck.