Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24472 - 09/01/2001 10:37 A buggered display, high pitched whine and panic.
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
So. The Empeg's sat on top of my monitor at work where it's sat every day for the past few months. Whenever I get up and walk away I put it into standby (hold in top button) as I don't know how long I'm likely to be.

So, after a trip to the loo I get back to my desk and hit the top button to start the Empeg playing again.

The screen shimmers - difficult to describe, but sort of like high refresh static - and a very high pitched whine came from the box (my hearing's good - up until only a few years ago I could hear those 'silent' dog whistles. 'course, I'm getting old now and it's slowly disappearing). The music continued to play.

I paniced (sp?) and put the machine into standby again (the top button still worked to do this). After five seconds or so I hit the top button to get it going again. This time - same display shimmer, same whine but not music. I then repeated this. The Empeg repeated the shimmer, whine and no music.

Really panicing, I pulled the power, waited a few seconds and plugged it back in.

The display came up normally, it booted and continued playing exactly where it left off.

I've put it into standby a few times since and it's not repeated the problem.

Sort of worrying that it happened though. Anybody any ideas?

Nick.
(copied to [email protected])

--
18Gb blue (now AR red) - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#24473 - 09/01/2001 10:49 Re: A buggered display, high pitched whine and panic. [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Atop the CRT probably isn't the best place for the Empeg. Magnetic fields and heat, you know. Environmentally, you should treat the Empeg like you would a laptop computer.

I'm not saying your problem is definitely related to your mounting location, but you should eliminate that as a possible factor. I suggest keeping it somewhere else for a while and seeing if the problem returns.