Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245531 - 06/01/2005 13:13 Question about playlist
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I have a question, that is probably answered in the FAQ, but I did not find it...I have an audio book that I put into a play list. each of the files on the disk are 3 to 8 minutes each. I play the first one, and then I get an End of Playlist message. How can I get it to play all of the files in that playlist? I am sure it is a simple setting, so a point to the FAQ that addresses that would be great!
Thanks!

#245532 - 06/01/2005 14:01 Re: Question about playlist [Re: Ladmo]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I have a question, that is probably answered in the FAQ, but I did not find it...I have an audio book that I put into a play list. each of the files on the disk are 3 to 8 minutes each. I play the first one, and then I get an End of Playlist message. How can I get it to play all of the files in that playlist? I am sure it is a simple setting, so a point to the FAQ that addresses that would be great!
Thanks!

If you select the big triangle icon, rather than one of the tracks, then they'll all be played in order, starting with the first one. There's no other way (AFAIK) to get what you're asking for.

#245533 - 06/01/2005 17:23 Re: Question about playlist [Re: Ladmo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
To clarify what Roger just said, you must press OK or the down-arrow button here:

This will play all tracks in that playlist.

The reason it's not in the FAQ is that no one has ever asked that question before. No one has ever "not known" that the triangle means "play".

You've been on this forum for quite a while, Ladmo, how have you been using the player all this time without knowing that?

Attachments
244933-clickhere.gif (94 downloads)

#245534 - 06/01/2005 17:50 Re: Question about playlist [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well, I still don't know what the "double quaver" symbol in a playlist is supposed to mean, and I got player number 15!

So neeny-neeny-ner-ner!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245535 - 06/01/2005 18:42 Re: Question about playlist [Re: schofiel]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
if a double quaver is a musical note, i believe it means a track in the root of the playlist.

#245536 - 06/01/2005 18:53 Re: Question about playlist [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The musical note icon is how you show individual tracks instead of sub-playlists.

Works like this:

- If you have a playlist that is all just individual tracks, then they will all show by default.

- If you have a playlist that is all just sub-playlists, they they will all show by default.

- If you have a playlist that is a combination of sub-playlists and individual tracks, then it will only show the sub-playlists, and hide the individual tracks behind that musical note icon.

#245537 - 06/01/2005 18:54 Re: Question about playlist [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That is what he means, and I think you're right, but how is that different than the normal listing of tracks in a playlist? Does it only show up when there are both playlists and tracks in the current playlist?

#245538 - 06/01/2005 19:01 Re: Question about playlist [Re: wfaulk]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

yes

#245539 - 07/01/2005 01:38 Re: Question about playlist [Re: tfabris]
Ladmo
addict

Tony, you have no concept of what I have gone through to finally HAVE an Empeg...Ask RobS...he has a slight idea, and I am still going through some of it. I thought one of the ideas of the forum was to learn and find out things you didn't know. I didn't know...Why, you ask? Stupidity? Ignorance? Lack of understanding? Being a conservative? Take your pick. There are a lot of fantistic people on empegbbs, and I thought one of them would know...AND....this time, I took the suggested route of looking through (and through and through) the FAQ in order NOT to be busted for it...but guess what???? Oh well...as someone once said....Let there be toast! And i may not be very educated on the Empeg, but I do know how to bootstrap a PDP/11, or how to totaly disect a VAX 11/780 and a MicroVax, and I used to disassemble 6502 code by hand....not very impressive by you younger guys standards I'm sure, but back in the 70's and 80's it was a feat, as we did not have resources such as the empegbbs...of course, we did have our awesome 300 baud modems and accoustic couplers!

Please forgive me if I have offended you and/or your FAQ. I will refrain from doing so again.

#245540 - 07/01/2005 03:06 Re: Question about playlist [Re: Ladmo]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

he wasnt attacking you. just shocked that someone could have been using an empeg for some time and not have figured out that the triangle is play. actually, im not even sure how someone could like the empeg if they couldnt choose more than one track at a time.

#245541 - 07/01/2005 06:42 Re: Question about playlist [Re: Ladmo]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
...not very impressive by you younger guys standards I'm sure...

Oh, the guys here are quite nice to us oldtimers, they are even politely amused by our many times repeated antedeluvian war stories (mine often feature HP and DataGeneral minis), and attics and basements would still yield many PDPs and VAXes if searched.

empeg UI is somewhat like vi editor: you don't appreciate it fully until you really explore its details. I recently had a six months period of not using my empeg, and went over FAQ and even some old BBS threads to reacquaint myself with it. Age shows, I guess...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#245542 - 07/01/2005 07:12 Re: Question about playlist [Re: RobotCaleb]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well, you could just select the prior hierarchical playlist, which works as well...
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245543 - 07/01/2005 14:10 Re: Question about playlist [Re: schofiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Even then you'd have to press the play triangle since if you select a playlist, hierarchical ro not, it's just going to dig down first.

#245544 - 07/01/2005 15:27 Re: Question about playlist [Re: Ladmo]
CMU
new poster

Don't feel bad about not knowing about the triangle thing. It confused me a bit too until another owner told me how it worked (and I have a degree in Computer Science)! I didn't spot that the icon was something I could interact with at first. I had fluked it once though and it was set on my "everything" list, so I was happy for a while. D'oh!

A couple of nice features also to do with that little play icon:

First: If you hold the "down" button on it for a second or so, you'll get options to insert/append etc. So, you can have a nice long playlist running and think to yourself "I'd really like to hear album X right now", and insert it such that it resumes your long playlist in the same place after the album is finished. Or you could queue several albums up to play one after the other with "append".

Second: The play icon plays all songs AND sub-playlists at the current level. So, if you set up a folder for each artist with their albums as sub-playlists (best done with jEmplode and a soup playlist) you can choose to play just "Dark Side of the Moon", or "Pink Floyd" which would include all of their albums on the Empeg.

#245545 - 07/01/2005 17:06 Re: Question about playlist [Re: CMU]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Actually, the insert/append thing works with individual tracks in addition to the play icon.

#245546 - 07/01/2005 19:21 Re: Question about playlist [Re: Ladmo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

My apologies, Ladmo, for sounding patronizing. That was not my intent. I'm very sorry.

I was just trying to defend why it wasn't in the FAQ, that's all.

And I was genuinely wondering how you played playlists without using that icon.

#245547 - 07/01/2005 20:49 Re: Question about playlist [Re: tfabris]
Ladmo
addict

I would just create the playlist in Emplode and then move it over to the Empeg by sync. I then would just play it 'by hand'. I love the Empeg, but after all, it is all about the music (well...mostly about the music!)
Maybe I should look at the Empeg manual that came with the machine...it probalby says so, but who knows where I put it...
Thanks, Tony, and I really appreciate the FAQ! It has been invaluable.