Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#247452 - 25/01/2005 17:31 Head Unit recommendations?
sjthomp
new poster

My car was broken into the other day and my head unit destroyed in a failed attempt to steal it. (RioCar was safely locked in the trunk, fortunately.) So I need a new head unit.

I was thinking of an Alpine with the iPod interface, but those don't seem to have the standard aux-in I need for the RioCar. Can anyone recommend a good head unit with a CD player and an aux-in?

Insurance will pay at least $250, but if I want something that costs more I can just pay the difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#247453 - 25/01/2005 17:37 Re: Head Unit recommendations? [Re: sjthomp]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Why not choose to do it the other way round, as the RIOCar has AUX IN.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#247454 - 25/01/2005 17:42 Re: Head Unit recommendations? [Re: schofiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Traditional logic is that that means if your empeg was missing, you wouldn't be able to listen to the other source. If the empeg goes thru the other head unit, the other head unit is unlikely to go missing. (Well, except for being stolen.)

Also, he might want to replace the in-HU amp he already had.

#247455 - 25/01/2005 18:04 Re: Head Unit recommendations? [Re: schofiel]
sjthomp
new poster

I'd rather have the RioCar connect to a head unit aux-in for the reasons wfaulk suggested. Sometimes I prefer not to take the RioCar with me, and I'd like to still have the use of the head unit. Plus I'd like to avoid having to buy and install a separate amp.

#247456 - 25/01/2005 18:18 Re: Head Unit recommendations? [Re: sjthomp]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
(RioCar was safely locked in the trunk, fortunately.)

I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind people that locking things in trunks is not particularly safe.

Both times I had my car ripped off, they also got into the trunk to steal things like speakers, amps, and subwoofers. One of the times, they used a crowbar to pry open the trunk, resulting in seriously expensive damage.

If you are in a large parking lot in a bad area, there is a chance that someone is "casing" the lot and watching people park. If they see you locking up something in your trunk, the game is over.

Glad to see that wasn't the case for your empeg this time. But next time it might be. Please bring the empeg with you, don't leave it in the car. There's only so many of them in the world!

#247457 - 25/01/2005 23:06 Re: Head Unit recommendations? [Re: sjthomp]
Gallagher419
journeyman

I currently own a Kenwood Excelon X-879 and I must say that these units sound phenominal. I have my MkIIa hooked up to it just like you want to do and I have full use of the Empeg's EQ. I suggest you go on ebay and look for a new head unit that's where I bought mine and at a very good price. I am extremely happy with my head unit. Good Luck!

#247458 - 15/02/2005 04:10 Re: Head Unit recommendations? [Re: sjthomp]
TerryMathews
new poster

First off, there is an Ai-Net (Alpine standard connecter) to RCA adapter. Alpine just doesn't advertise it since it's cheap unlike the iPod link.

That said, I can't say I'm all that fond of Alpine HUs. The cheap ones have a bunch of junky features, and you have to move up to BIG dollars to get features that are acually useful (auto volume adjust, cell mute, max volume at startup, etc.)

When it was car stereo time for my Vette, I picked the cheapest HU at Crutchfield.com which had good sound quality, aux input available, RDS, auto volume adjust, and max volume on startup. I ended up with the Blaupunkt CD52 Casablanca and couldn't be happier. It's got both amplified outputs and preouts, two aux inputs, capability for a remote if you're that kind of person, and can be wired for illumination, speed controlled volume, cell phone mute, and antenna up/down. Graphically, it's very nice too without being too "bling"y. It's got a graphic EQ and dynamically adjustible EQ settings along with the usual balance/fade/bass/treble. Removable faceplate too.

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/BlaupunktUSA/Products/Archive/Casablanca%20CD52.htm

It's nice too because the bezel is removable, making the actual fitting smaller than DIN. Came in handy when fitting it plus my RioCar (slightly larger than DIN) into the opening in my Corvette which wasn't quite double-DIN.