Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24928 - 16/01/2001 03:19 HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg!
crewe

Loc: London, UK
I just got my Empeg (Amber, 12GB) this morning. I'd love to start filling it up with tunes, but I've got Apple Macs and I don't know where to start.

Before I ordered, I checked with Empeg and they said there was a Java version which I could use. I've found it online, but I've no idea how to install it or get it working on my mac (OS 9.1).

I really don't want to have to buy Virtual PC just to load my Empeg.

I'm very disappointed in Empeg at not getting to work on Mac software sooner. Their web site says "it got put on the back burner...: Oh, charming! ;) I'm sure the majority of Mac users would be interested in Empegs - we are by definition creative, intelligent types with more money than sense and an eye for cool gadgets! Empeg could do a lot worse than target the Mac audience with this machine.

Also... anyone any idea how to upload tracks to my Empeg in the car from my house using an Airport?

Thanks everyone.

Sally

#24929 - 16/01/2001 04:01 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I really don't want to have to buy Virtual PC just to load my Empeg

It would probably be cheaper just to buy a cheap second hand PC with W98 on it. And no, I'm not joking.

Do you have any experience with installing and setting up a JVM on your Mac?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#24930 - 16/01/2001 04:21 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: schofiel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

It might even be cheaper to buy a brand new PC with W98 on it. They're around £400 including a monitor, last I checked. You probably don't need a monitor.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#24931 - 16/01/2001 06:59 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: schofiel]
crewe

Virtual PC software is $199 (£150) so a PC wouldn't be cheaper. Anyway, I've _got_ a computer! I don't fancy getting a Windows machine just for the Empeg. Next it's gonna want it's own room!

There must be someone out there who is using their Empeg with a Mac _without_ Virtual PC. What about that Java thing? I'm willing to try it, but I downloaded it and the documentation is non existent. I don't have any experience with JVM (don't even know what it is!). I've got a few Linux web servers through work, but I get someone else to do all the dirty work!

Sally

#24932 - 16/01/2001 07:58 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There are Mac users within empeg, who seem to get on with JEmpeg OK. Last time I looked it came fully wrapped in an installer complete with JVM so it shouldn't be too hard to fire up. If you have problems email [email protected] as he may be able to help (he's used it on a Powerbook).

Sorry for the lack of native Mac support. We don't have any Mac programmers here, but we opened up the sync tool source to encourage others to develop for other platforms. We weren't expecting the Java solution, but it's rather cool.

Rob

#24933 - 16/01/2001 10:37 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congratulations again on your new Empeg.

I get the feeling that JEmplode will only work with Ethernet, so make sure your Mac's got one of those ports. And unless you have an ethernet hub, you need to make sure that the cable you buy is a crossover cable so that the Empeg and the computer can see each other.

But after that, and after you install JEmplode (http://jempeg.sourceforge.net), you should be all set to go. The only thing that might trip you up is funny characters in the MP3 file names on your Mac. I've heard of folks trying to load files from macs onto the Empeg and having the software choke on certain characters. So just make sure to name your files with regular characters like letters, numbers, spaces, and hyphens. Leave out things like question marks and dollar signs, for example. (I don't know if JEmplode specifically will have trouble with these things, I just know that folks trying to copy files from Macs have had trouble in this area in the past.)

#24934 - 16/01/2001 20:59 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
I just got my Empeg (Amber, 12GB) this morning. I'd love to start filling it up with tunes, but I've got Apple Macs and I don't know where to start.Before I ordered, I checked with Empeg and they said there was a Java version which I could use. I've found it online, but I've no idea how to install it or get it working on my mac (OS 9.1).I really don't want to have to buy Virtual PC just to load my Empeg.I know exactly where you're coming from. While I'd say that Virtual PC is (and has been ever since Connectix added USB to it) the easiest way to sync on a Mac, it's possible to use JEmplode on a Mac. You already have a Java VM (Mac OS Runtime for Java), which came with Mac OS 9.1. Unfortunately, getting JEmplode working with this VM isn't trivial. Here's how you get JEmplode running like a Mac application, step by step:1. Download Apple's "Mac OS Runtime for Java SDK", from ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/MRJ_SDK_2.2_Install.sit.bin, and install it on your machine.2. Download the latest JEmplode, from http://download.sourceforge.net/jempeg/jempeg-0.9.14.jar, and place it in your "MRJClasses" folder. This folder is in the "MRJ Libraries" folder, which is in your Extensions folder. This places JEmplode's classes in the system classpath, so MRJ can find them without you doing anything special.3. Download the Java Foundation Classes, from ftp://ftp.java.sun.com/pub/jfs/111lkjasdfcs/swing1_1_1-mac.bin, un-MacBinary it, and run the resulting installer. When it's done, you'll see that there are a bunch of .jar files wherever you told it to install. Copy all of those .jar files into the "MRJClasses" folder. This places classes needed for JEmplode to display its user interface into the system classpath.4. Run the "JBindery" application, which was installed as part of the MRJ SDK (you can find it with Sherlock, or just browse through the MRJ SDK directory). It will pop up a window. Into the "Class name" field of this window, type "mschrag.empeg.emplode.Main" (without the quotes). Now click the "Save Settings" button, and save it (as an application) anywhere you want. Once you've done that, all you need to do to run JEmplode is to double-click on the application you saved. It won't work with serial ports (at least, not that I've been able to see; there _is_ an implementation of javax.comm, the Java communication classes, for MRJ - it's located at http://www.vmeng.com/beard/javax.comm.MRJ/javax.comm.MRJ.sit.hqx - but it doesn't seem to work too well), so you'll have to synchronize with Ethernet. I haven't run it extensively in MRJ (I use Mac OS X, myself), so I don't know how well it will work, but this should at least get you up and running. If you have any questions, let me know.As an added bonus, when an update to JEmplode is released, you can just delete the old jempeg-0.9.14.jar in your "MRJClasses" folder, drop in the new jempeg jar, and not have to change another thing. :)I'm very disappointed in Empeg at not getting to work on Mac software sooner.Yes, it can be frustrating, but I understand why the Empeg guys haven't done it yet; they don't have any Mac programmers, and they've been busy enough working on things like the 1.1 software. Hopefully, with the SonicBlue acquisition, we'll see some Mac software on the horizon - all of the current Rio hardware can talk to Casady & Greene's "SoundJam MP" right now, as well as Apple's "iTunes". While the synchronization processes for these units and the Empeg have nothing in common, it's at least clear that SonicBlue wants to support Mac users - maybe they'll assign one of their programmers to the problem. :) Also... anyone any idea how to upload tracks to my Empeg in the car from my house using an Airport?Once you get JEmplode working - and assuming the Empeg is on the wireless network while in your car - this should be as easy as synchronizing over Ethernet.

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman, Caltech Computer Science
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24935 - 16/01/2001 21:05 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
dmz
journeyman

Wow... the BBS destroyed the formatting of my message... Guess that's what I get for using OmniWeb... Oh well.

-----
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24936 - 16/01/2001 21:42 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: rob]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Kind of amazing what can happen when the bread is cast on the waters!

#24937 - 17/01/2001 01:01 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Yeah, I complained about that here already. Also happens on I.E. on OS X and Netscape on FreeBSD if it make you feel better.

-Mike

#24938 - 17/01/2001 01:12 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Welcome from another Mac using empeg owner. It looks like DMZ posted an accurate description of how to get jempeg working. You can also send me a message if you have a problem. I have a version of jempeg already packaged by jbindery which I can email you to save you a couple of steps if necessary. Also, if it makes you feel better that process is a bit simpler with OS X. Jempeg works reasonably well under OS 9 although it does not feel like a normal mac application. I do occasionally have problems with jempeg failing during large syncs though.

-Mike

#24939 - 17/01/2001 04:05 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Oh, I dunno - I just picked up a Pentium 75 for a fiver this weekend

#24940 - 17/01/2001 05:12 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

If serial commincation is hosed, how do you upgrade your empeg version?

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

#24941 - 17/01/2001 06:42 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
crewe

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Sally

#24942 - 17/01/2001 08:27 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
crewe

Hi Daniel,

I got as far as step 3, but the link to the Java Foundation Classes doesn't seem to work for me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sally

#24943 - 17/01/2001 13:09 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: pgrzelak]
dmz
journeyman

If serial commincation is hosed, how do you upgrade your empeg version?

With Virtual PC. :)

(There's no equivalent to "empegUpgrade" in the Java Empeg stuff yet anyway, so even if serial communication worked, there'd be no way to do an upgrade)

-----
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24944 - 17/01/2001 13:12 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
dmz
journeyman

I got as far as step 3, but the link to the Java Foundation Classes doesn't seem to work for me. Any ideas?

Hmm. I thought it was a stable download link, but maybe it's one of those Sun "we leave this link working temporarily when you download the package, then change it" links. I hate those.

You can go to http://www.javasoft.com/jfc/ and download the software from there, by following the links to download Swing 1.1.1 for MacOS.

-----
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24945 - 17/01/2001 13:55 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
Oh dear. I didn't realise it was that involved.

All I did was run http://jempeg.sourceforge.net/InstData/MacOS/NoVM/install.bin and it all worked first time.

Maybe I'm just lucky :)

--
David
// I'm probably not speaking on behalf of empeg/SONICblue here...

#24946 - 17/01/2001 14:22 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: dmz]
crewe

Got JEmplode working - thanks!

Once you get JEmplode working - and assuming the Empeg is on the wireless network while in your car - this should be as easy as synchronizing over Ethernet.

Hmm... could you clarify this Airport stuff a bit please Daniel?

I've got my laptop working in the house with Airport for wireless internet access, but how do I get the empeg into the equation? Do I need another Airport card? Do I put that into the Empeg? Then what?...

Thanks again :)

Sally

#24947 - 17/01/2001 14:27 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: David]
dmz
journeyman

All I did was run http://jempeg.sourceforge.net/InstData/MacOS/NoVM/install.bin and it all worked first time.

Yup, that'll work too; but it'll install an old version of the jempeg software (0.9.13). You can plug the new version into there, by grabbing the jempeg-0.9.14.jar from SourceForge, removing jempeg-0.9.13.jar from the lib directory where it's installed, renaming jempeg-0.9.14.jar to jempeg-0.9.13.jar, and dropping it where the old jempeg-0.9.13.jar was. But then you don't get the benefit of having Swing around for any other Java apps you happen to want to run in the future. :)

-----
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24948 - 17/01/2001 14:30 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've got my laptop working in the house with Airport for wireless internet access, but how do I get the empeg into the equation? Do I need another Airport card? Do I put that into the Empeg?

Heh, actually, you'd need to take the Airport base station itself and plug it into your Empeg. Currently that's the only way it'll work. But then you can do wireless synchs. You may still need that crossover cable I mentioned-- make sure you get a link light on the station and the Empeg.

#24949 - 17/01/2001 14:41 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
dmz
journeyman

Hmm... could you clarify this Airport stuff a bit please Daniel?

I've got my laptop working in the house with Airport for wireless internet access, but how do I get the empeg into the equation? Do I need another Airport card? Do I put that into the Empeg? Then what?...

Well, you need to get the Empeg onto the wireless network somehow; this thread is a fairly long discussion about the topic, including tips on how to get docked Ethernet in the car. If you have an AirPort base station in your house, chances are good that the Empeg will be able to communicate with it from the car (assuming it's in your driveway or garage, or the like). You can't actually put an AirPort card into an Empeg, but you can plug an adapter into its Ethernet port to allow it to join the wireless network.

-----
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24950 - 17/01/2001 15:01 Re: HELP! Mac user with empty Empeg! [Re: crewe]
streeter
new poster

simple solution
send it to me at (insert my address here)
thanks

#24951 - 17/01/2001 16:39 Re: Airport [Re: dmz]
crewe

There seems to be a difference of opinion re: whether I would need an actual Airport base station in the car. I don't see why - surely the empeg will just behave as any additional computer on the network would?

However, I'm still unsure exactly what I would need to connect to the empeg. An airport card? I've got a spare one which I'm looking at now, and there are no RJ-45 connectors or anything. How would this connect to the empeg? Would I even be able to use an airport card, or would it have to be some other wireless card?

I checked out that thread on the subject, but everyone seems to have a different idea and no one actually give a simple step by step guide - I'm a girl, remember! ; )

Thanks yet again...

Sally

#24952 - 17/01/2001 16:56 Re: Airport [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

However, I'm still unsure exactly what I would need to connect to the empeg. An airport card? I've got a spare one which I'm looking at now, and there are no RJ-45 connectors or anything.

Exactly. The empeg has an RJ-45 ethernet jack. So the only things you can plug the Empeg into are things that also have RJ-45 ethernet jacks. That's why you can't use an airport card in your empeg. In your case, the list of things that you can plug into is:

- Airport base station (using a crossover cable).
- Computers with ethernet plugs (using a crossover cable).
- Hub (if you have one, using a normal cable).

As far as needing the airport base station in the car, well, that's one of those extra-geeky things that we won't get into right now. You don't need to have the empeg ethernet-docked in the car unless you are an extreme-turbo gadget-freak and you want to do it for the novelty value.

Otherwise, just bring your Empeg into the house, plug it into a computer with a crossover cable, and load your tunes with JEmpeg. That should be plenty for you.

The only concern I have for you is that, since you don't own a PC and don't have VirtualPC, you have no way of applying the empeg's software upgrades. You need at least version 1.01 or 1.02 on that player for it to be trouble-free, and I'm guessing it shipped to you with 1.0 installed. Check in the player's "About" menu to see which software version it's running.

If it's only running 1.0 I'd find a friend with a PC and a 'net connection, and go download Emplode 1.02 and the Car2-1.02 upgrade file, and upgrade your player with the serial cable.

Sorry this is all so silly and confusing. That's what you get for buying a mac, though.

#24953 - 17/01/2001 17:22 Re: Airport [Re: tfabris]
crewe

You don't need to have the empeg ethernet-docked in the car unless you are an extreme-turbo gadget-freak and you want to do it for the novelty value.
Yes, but I think I am! (Help!) Actually, my main reason to get it hooked up this way is so that I can leave the empeg in the car permanently (safely attached in the boot/trunk) and use the remote on the dash. That way I don't have to take the empeg in and out everytime I get out of the car, plus I can upload from work in secret!

Anyway, how the heck do you keep the base station going in-car? Connect it to the car battery?

The only concern I have for you is that, since you don't own a PC and don't have VirtualPC
I actually ordered Virtual PC today... The JEmplode thing works, but I want to use USB.

Sorry this is all so silly and confusing. That's what you get for buying a mac, though.
Ooh... cheeky! It's confusing 'cos I'm easily confused, that's all...

Thanks for your help. : )

#24954 - 17/01/2001 17:37 Re: Airport [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Actually, my main reason to get it hooked up this way is so that I can leave the empeg in the car permanently (safely attached in the boot/trunk) and use the remote on the dash.

Although this is possible (with an IR repeater), you don't get the benefit of being able to see the Empeg's screen. So the ability to do all of the things that make the empeg so great (alphanumeric searches, adjusting the 20-band equalizer, enjoying the visuals, navigating the playlist structure) is lost. About all that you can do is press prev/next track and adjust the volume. Everything else would happen blind, and you'd tend to get lost in the menus if you tried to do anything else. No visual feedback, you see. Imagine trying to operate your Mac without seeing the monitor, and you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The Empeg was really designed to go in the dash.

Anyway, how the heck do you keep the base station going in-car? Connect it to the car battery?

Yes. The proper voltages to power the base station can be arranged with a little work. There's even a photo (in those CES pix in the General forum) of an AirPort base station on the parcel shelf of a demo car.

I actually ordered Virtual PC today... The JEmplode thing works, but I want to use USB.

Actually, I don't think USB works via VirtualPC. Just serial and ethernet. That's a VirtualPC limitation, not an Empeg limitation. (If I recall correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

But USB and Ethernet are functionally equivalent as far as Emplode is concerned, and Ethernet is actually a tad faster. And I'm glad you ordered VirtualPC because now you can apply software upgrades with the serial port.

Um... I think. Does she need some kind of physical adapter to plug the serial cable into the mac?

It's confusing 'cos I'm easily confused, that's all...

No, you don't sound confused. The fact that you got JEmpeg going means you're heading in the right direction. So have you been able to get any songs loaded onto the Empeg yet?

Man, this thread is gonna make great FAQ fodder when things are all sorted out. Thanks for being our guinea pig.

#24955 - 17/01/2001 21:08 Re: Airport [Re: tfabris]
dmz
journeyman

Actually, I don't think USB works via VirtualPC. Just serial and ethernet. That's a VirtualPC limitation, not an Empeg limitation. (If I recall correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Well, you're partially wrong. :)

People using Virtual PC with Empegs have had very mixed results with USB sync. For instance, with Emplode 1.0, my Mk2 would reliably synchronize over USB to a Virtual PC, but my Mk1 would not; with 1.0.1, they both would, and with 1.0.2, the Mk2 won't (I haven't tried the Mk1 yet). In addition, it seems to also depend on the Mac you're using - on my Mac, USB sync didn't work at all (when I last tried it), but on my apartmentmate's Mac, it worked fine. The situation may also be improved (or worsened) by Virtual PC 4, which I haven't upgraded to yet.

In my experience, serial didn't work well at all with Virtual PC (fine for upgrading, but not for synchronization - I think it had trouble with long, sustained connections); but Ethernet works beautifully, and I've had no problems with it.

But USB and Ethernet are functionally equivalent as far as Emplode is concerned, and Ethernet is actually a tad faster. And I'm glad you ordered VirtualPC because now you can apply software upgrades with the serial port.

Um... I think. Does she need some kind of physical adapter to plug the serial cable into the mac?

Yes, the ability to apply upgrades is very useful. Hopefully, we'll update JEmpeg to be able to do that at some point (especially when upgrades over Ethernet are possible :). As far as a physical adapter is concerned, she'll probably need two (if she has a newer Mac):

1. A USB -> Serial adapter, to get a serial port; alternatively, she could get a card which turns the internal modem port into a serial port, if she doesn't use the internal modem. This is needed for all post-beige-G3 Macs.

2. An 8-pin Serial -> 9-pin Serial adapter, to be able to talk to the Empeg's supplied cord. Believe it or not, buying this adapter is cheaper than just buying an 8-pin Serial -> 9-pin Serial null modem cable to talk to the Empeg; it's available as part of the Palm MacPac, among other places.

As an alternative to this beautiful 2-adapter chain, she could buy the Keyspan PDA adapter (available at many online resellers), which is a USB -> 9-pin Serial adapter meant for use with Palms and the like; it should work fine with the Empeg. And if she has a beige G3, or earlier Mac, she only needs adapter #2.

-----
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#24956 - 18/01/2001 02:18 Re: Airport [Re: dmz]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Ughhh, this thread is beginning to give me a headache and I know all of this already. This should definately be a faq. Anyway, I just wanted to recomend the Keyspan PDA adapter. It does work, is cheaper than the alternatives, and will make life generally simpler. I have not had any probles with serial under VPC with my empeg, but I have not used it that extensively (just make sure nothing else is using the serial port). -Mike

#24957 - 18/01/2001 05:41 Re: Airport [Re: dmz]
crewe

She has a G4 desktop, a G3 laptop and a Titanium G4 laptop on order. She is happy. ; )

I already have a Keyspan USB -> serial adapter, so I'll try that method. Virtual PC 4.0 is arriving today, so I'll let you know how I get on with USB.

Once again guys, thanks for all the suggestions!

Sally

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >