Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250152 - 21/02/2005 19:53 A Slew of Questions for a Rusty Empeger
belezeebub
addict

1. I have about 27000 Mp3's to upload I have done the drive up grade so many times I could do it in my sleep so that is not an issue but I do have a few questions.

Just got Empeg number 6 or is it 7
Got it on Ebay the 2 here for sale I didn't get a reply for a week so I Went else ware for one (I never have had any palence)

Questions

1. Any one know this guy he listed this site in his auction So I assume he is here wanted to know if its a 2 or a 2a and if any of the Mods had been done. (ebay Item 5751234672 )

2. Would I see any bang for my buck by upgrading to 32 or more ram with 27000 songs most ripped in 320?

3. I remember a few Mods to inprove or fix slight issuse related to the sound output being improperly cut off at ~18Khz or something to that effect it was a resister you bridged or some such thing think I should send it off to Eutronix and get that done.

4. What happened to the Other guy making a replacment face plate ? mine went belly up but I would still like a nice black powder coated one. I don't see a link at the top of the page to order one yet.

5. Any other Tweaks I should get done before I get it installed?

6. Does FAQ Master Tony really only exist as a piece of code running on a Linux Box somewhere? it seems he has a reply to everypost with in 2.2 Nano-seconds of the topic being entered

Edited by belezeebub (21/02/2005 20:02)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#250153 - 21/02/2005 20:38 Re: A Slew of Questions for a Rusty Empeger [Re: belezeebub]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

1. No. I do not know the seller, but this is a popular site for the empeg and there were a lot of sellers recently.

2. You are probably better waiting until Patrick's board is available. I would recommend it from the linux prompt and kernel use. During average playback, it may or may not help you much.

3. I thought the cutoff value was more based on the encoder that was used and a command line switch that was required to get LAME to encode above 16kHz. I am not aware of the fix you speak of, but it would not be the first time I missed anything.

4. The 303 fascias are no longer made, and have not been for a while. There is another fascia project in the works though in the project section that looks very promising!

5. Hardware tweaks - test completely, new hard drives, rebuild the partitions manually (leaving a bit of extra space for a potentially larger dynamic data partition), decide if you want alpha 3 or enhanced 2 code. Otherwise, you can add as you go. Not sure if you want digital out, but that is another possibility. Illuminated button hacks are highly recommended, even if you do not have the translucent buttons yet.

6. Speculation continues, but he did post a photograph of an injury he sustained on the board. Granted, it could have been a human he captured or perhaps he is now a borg. You would need to get that answer from him directly.

#250154 - 21/02/2005 20:39 Re: A Slew of Questions for a Rusty Empeger [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'll never tell.

The high frequency cutoff thing he refers to is here.

#250155 - 21/02/2005 20:43 Re: A Slew of Questions for a Rusty Empeger [Re: belezeebub]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
6. No. He runs as a Visual Basic macro on a Windows NT 3.51 machine. This is why there are often huge lags during his "snowboarding" time.

#250156 - 21/02/2005 21:10 Re: A Slew of Questions for a Rusty Empeger [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Ohhhh... Okay. I was not familiar with that one. Cool.

By the way, it looks like a 2a. This is based on the auction photos showing Rio printing on the lid of the player, along with Rio branded goodies.

#250157 - 21/02/2005 21:21 Re: A Slew of Questions for a Rusty Empeger [Re: pgrzelak]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
It's the two roll-off caps at the rear of the board near the RCA output connectors.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015