Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250357 - 24/02/2005 16:27 Apple may buy TiVo?
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
From Reuters

Not very much to the story, and all speculation, but an interesting development for TiVo.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#250358 - 24/02/2005 16:35 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: Waterman981]
tman
carpal tunnel

Hmm... iTiVo... Not sure if I could cope with that name

#250359 - 24/02/2005 19:58 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: tman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

If you believe the Slashdot investigative irregulars, it appears that a lone post on the Yahoo TIVO board was actually confused for a factual announcement ("what we hear on the street) and thenceforth amplified by legitimate press and "real" analysts.

In other words, behold the power of the rumor-mill.

#250360 - 24/02/2005 20:02 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Maybe Apple will be persuaded to make the deal given all the press around it.

Steve Jobs: "Hmm, sounds like a neat idea.. Let's do it."

Bruno

#250361 - 24/02/2005 20:17 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: Waterman981]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Here's a reply I posted on another forum:

I think the quoted price of $300M may be a little too high for TiVo's current worth, but if anyone can do something with that brand and technology, it's Apple. As a matter of fact, I'd speculate that Apple is the ONLY company that can take TiVo and turn it into more than just a household name - they can actually put one in (additional) millions of households.

It's getting close to the right time for Apple to make a move like this. If you look at the MP3 market, they took their sweet time with the iPod, but there's no arguing they struck within a near-perfect window. A deal like this would not have made much sense two years ago - though TiVo has been around since 1999, the concept was still far too alien for most consumers. It's all starting to really move along now with more competing platforms than you can shake a stick at. Microsoft is making good inroads with MCE as well.

Apple has demonstrated it has the sex-appeal factor with both the iPod and Mini, not to mention its notebook line. It would take them a while before they could deploy a new solution on top of MacOS, but this type of acquisition would surely buy them a lot of IP beyond simple recording and database management. TiVo has some content protection IP already and has definitely done some work to meet mandates for broadcast flag and other HD (protection) initiatives. Apple has been silent on these issues as they had been on so many before. So many where they instantly gained a leg up through acquisition. DVD playback, DVD burning, DVD authoring, MP3 playback, Video Editing, Motion Effects...

I think it's a great fit. What perfect way to leverage the video technology (H.264) they're currently leading the pack with? I have no idea if it will happen, but I'm hoping it will. I think this can do great things for the TiVo brand (or rebrand) and that market segment in general. I'm sure a few things TiVo fans really like now might change or go away, but that's better than the whole company sliding off the face of the Earth - which is more probability than mere possibility without a buyout in the next 12 months.

Bruno

#250362 - 24/02/2005 21:12 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

"Wait. I forgot how much I hate TV."

I don't see it happening with as much distaste for TV he shows.

#250363 - 24/02/2005 22:22 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: drakino]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see it happening with as much distaste for TV he shows.

He probably hates TV because he doesn't have a Tivo!

#250364 - 24/02/2005 22:26 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: hybrid8]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Nice post, Bruno. I sure hope it plays out that way. It's the best hope I see for TiVo. As a longtime TiVo fan and a new Apple fan I love the idea.

#250365 - 25/02/2005 01:03 Re: Apple may buy TiVo? [Re: drakino]
kayakjazz

Loc: Bay Area, CA/Anchorage, AK
Quote:

The two positions aren't necessarily mutually exclusive; I literally can't remember the last time I turned either of mine on; but exposure to friends' Tivos is converting me...I'm discovering there are things I'd like to see....