Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#251207 - 06/03/2005 19:48 Compact Flash Vs Secure Digital
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Is the type of card a digital camera takes something I should worry about? I'd always assumed CF to be slower than SD but is this the case?

I'm thinking of getting the Canon Ixus 500 which takes CF cards. I really hate having to wait ages between photos while the card gets written to. Also will the type of card affect the lag between me pressing the 'take a photo button' and the photo being taken?

#251208 - 06/03/2005 20:45 Re: Compact Flash Vs Secure Digital [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The fastest SD cards are faster than the fastest CF cards. In both cases not all cards are created equal...

It isn't always the biggest factor in the time you wait for photos to be written. Some cameras have large memory buffers which mean it doesn't matter if you card is slow, because unless you are firing off shot after shot you don't get held up by card writing delays.

Today's digital cameras are much better in this regard to what they were three years ago or so.

For an excellent comparison of speeds of different CF cards take a look here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

I don't know if anyone has done anything similar with SD cards.

The length of the shutter lag is not normally effected by the card speed.

To answer your initial question, the choice between CF and SD shouldn't really come into you buying decision because of card speeds.

#251209 - 06/03/2005 21:37 Re: Compact Flash Vs Secure Digital [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Yeah, what Andy said. The speed different is fairly inconseqential and will depend on the camera more than the card.

Compact flash is the old standard, and SD will be the new one, so you're not going to get burned with either of them. I was tempted to go the CF TO SD adapter route and just buy SD cards, but I got a good deal on a couple CF cards. If you end up with a CF camera, consider buying the adapter and the SD cards. Howerver, if you're going to keep the camera for over a year, your memory card investment is probably going to be inconsequential when it comes to your next camera.

In Rob Galbraith's CF database, check out the Canon 1D(s) Mk II, as they take both SD and CF, so you can see the speed difference. Unless you're shooting sports with an expensive camera, you're probably not going to notice anyways.

Matthew

#251210 - 07/03/2005 05:50 Re: Compact Flash Vs Secure Digital [Re: matthew_k]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

In Rob Galbraith's CF database, check out the Canon 1D(s) Mk II, as they take both SD and CF, so you can see the speed difference. Unless you're shooting sports with an expensive camera, you're probably not going to notice anyways.

Neat, I hadn't spotted that before.

It shows that there isn't much difference in speed anyway. The CF cards top out at 8MB/sec and the SD cards at 8.6MB/sec.

There is something very odd if you look at Rob's results where he uses a card reader and a Mac. The CF cards then top out at 12.9MB/sec whereas the SD cards only reach 7.9MB/sec. I guess the SD reader just isn't as good as it could be (despite the fact that he says it is the fastest SD reader he has found).

The CF cards show a huge variance, where some top out at 12.9MB/sec others are managing only 2MB/sec.

All very impressive though compared to my CF cards in my Canon 10D, which manage a heady speed of about 1.1MB/sec

(which all goes to show that card speed really isn't the most important factor, as the 10D is the fastest camera I have ever used)