Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#251475 - 11/03/2005 14:52 Enter The Haggis
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ok, I know I mentioned these guys in an earlier thread, but that was just knowing a couple of their tunes. I bought the CD and I have to say, I am totally amazed. This is some of the best music I’ve heard, ever.

Unless hearing a fiddle causes a gag reflex, you should check them out. Their music is hard to describe, but comes across sort of like progressive/Celtic/folk/rock/bluegrass. The CD I got “Casualties of Retail” is about half instrumental and half with vocals. Both are great- their vocals use lots of harmonies and their instrumentals have some complex patterns, including non-standard meters likes 7/8. Their typical instrumentation is guitar, bass, drums, fiddle, and bagpipes, though they also have some other stuff in there too (such as Latin percussion and a harmonica).

I know I have tastes that are probably different from many, but I can’t imagine not liking this stuff. This is one of the first times I’ve ever heard a bagpipe and enjoyed it (yes, I have a personal bias against bagpipes for some strange reason).

Anyway, they’re independent so I figured I’d do my part by posting here. And since they’re from Canada and I don’t know what the exchange rates are, I should note you can get their CD from buy.com (it took me some searching to figure that out).

Edited by JeffS (11/03/2005 14:53)

#251476 - 11/03/2005 15:53 Re: Enter The Haggis [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I like fiddles. I'm far more likely to have a gag reflex to the bagpipes. How prevalent is it in their music?

Speaking of fiddling, I had a friend in high school who was already a world class fiddler. Sadly, his website seems a tad out-dated. You can still get his album here, though. I recommend it.

I'll check out Enter the Haggis, too. Maybe I'll get around the bagpipes

#251477 - 11/03/2005 15:56 Re: Enter The Haggis [Re: JeffS]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Oooops. Sorry about that. I received my order for all of the albums and the DVD. I have not had a chance to even open the CDs yet. More to follow later.

I used my credit card to do the automatic currency conversion, and ordered from the vendor recommended on the ETH site.

#251478 - 11/03/2005 16:46 Re: Enter The Haggis [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I'm far more likely to have a gag reflex to the bagpipes.
I cannot stand bagpipes myself, but I love it here. I can't really tell you why, though. They just sound right for the music.

Quote:
How prevalent is it in their music?
Very- at least for the instrumentals. My two favorite songs with vox on the CD do not have bagpipes- "Another Round" and "Gasoline". Sot it's not in all of their songs, but enough so that you hear it a lot. Most of the time it's just matching what the fiddle is doing though- very, very fast melody lines rather than the obnixious dirge-like sound you often get with bag pipes.

Searching around the web it seems that everyone loves these guys live, but aren't as enamored with the CD. Oh well, I think the CD is fabulous.

Quote:
Speaking of fiddling, I had a friend in high school who was already a world class fiddler. Sadly, his website seems a tad out-dated. You can still get his album here, though. I recommend it.
Checking it out now . . .

Jeff

Edited by JeffS (11/03/2005 16:51)

#251479 - 11/03/2005 17:18 Re: Enter The Haggis [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Perhaps the bagpipes being used don't have drones, like some Uilleann pipes.